Instant Messaging App For Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mark.herty, Jun 5, 2008.

1. mark.herty macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend a good instant messaging application that can be used with on a proxy network. I would like to use msn and/or gtalk on my macbook in college but you need to input certain settings to use it on the network.

I would like a program i can use and change the proxy settings, i have tried using the one with Microsoft messenger but it doesn't seem to work.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

If you don't have to rely on it as a primary client for all your instant messaging, I would suggest meebo.com. It is browser-based and you therefore don't have to set up that proxy thing. Gabtastik is an app to log in to meebo in a separate window.

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

4. kolax macrumors G3

Without side tracking this topic, I have a half related question.

At my University there is a wireless network over the campus which has a proxy, and it is auto detected by my Mac. It is designed to only allow web browsing, however Windows Live Messenger also works.

Messenger:Mac doesn't work, however if I boot up Parallel's Desktop, I can sign in using Windows Live Messenger.

What gives?

5. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

6. danik macrumors newbie

Instant messaging

OnLAN Messenger is a client-server, multi-user instant messaging and file exchange service. The product is developed specifically for use within enterprise-networks, therefore the functions and options are designed to primarily comply with the demands of any kind of organization for a reliable and easily customizable instant information exchange tool.
    All personal contact information of all your employees, as well as your company's branches and partners is registered in the OnLAN Messenger database, and can be modified by the system administrator.
    You can try and enjoy OnLAN Messenger now:
    www.corpsoft.org

7. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight