Instant Messenger Bad or Good?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Connecticut, May 20, 2007.

1. Connecticut macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm trying to keep my new iMac as clean as possible so I can run my Audio Software with as little latency. However I use my PC for Instant Messenger to keep in touch with my contacts. I just bought a Dual Converter so I can run dual monitoring. It'd be a pain to keep my PC on or around and having to switch the cable everytime I wanted to check up on my instant messenger or read somethings on the internet.

Do you think an instant messenger and FireFox would be cool to download on to my workstation?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i use ichat, which comes with mac os x. people will recommend adium, but it's just doesn't sit well with me. also, i like using meebo when i'm at work. nothing to download, and it works great.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Not sure what you mean by cool but....

There are a million bazillion chat clients that use AIM's protocols and other popular protocols.

Who doesn't use FireFox lol?

4. Connecticut thread starter macrumors newbie

by "cool" I meant would run ok and not cause me problems. Like for say I wanted to run AOL's Instant Messenger

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Just use iChat. I'd recommend Adium if you have tons of friends spread out over Yahoo, MSN, AIM, etc...just because it makes it easier to text chat with them all at the same time. So instead of three buddy lists, you just have one...plus it is extremely customizable in terms of appearance.

Firefox is awesome.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Me, Inquisitor switched me to Safari, but now I find it much nicer, and faster to start up :)

7. Connecticut thread starter macrumors newbie

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Lots and lots of people. In fact, in my entire Mac reality, I do not actually know anyone personally that uses Firefox.

9. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

I'd have to second Aduim, I use it everyday and it works great.