Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I guess I overlooked this feature when I got Leo last year and did a safari update. I had no idea you could simply double click the tab bar for a new tab. I've been using hot keys.

Perhaps I was the last to know this. I sure love that feature though! I launched like 30 tabs in 8 seconds, LOL. Didn't mean to, found this feature the accidental way.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I guess I overlooked this feature when I got Leo last year. I had no idea you could simply double click the tab bar for a new tab. I've been using hot keys.

Perhaps I was the last to know this. I sure love that feature though! I launched like 30 tabs in 8 seconds, LOL. Didn't mean to, found this feature the accidental way.

Are you talking about in Safari? If so, I think that this was recently added in the newest update. Something that other browsers have had for a while, but on the other hand, when I am on a laptop (which I am usually) I prefer using the keyboard for most things.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Sorry, yes safari 3.1

If this is a new feature it's one of the first added upgrades I actually can use. I love it.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I never knew this! I feel left out. Seriously though, thats a nice find and i would be sure to guess most other people didn't know about these either. Awesome, another nice little touch from apple. I love how apple sneaks those in. :)

Bonsai1214

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Penfield, NY
I never knew this! I feel left out. Seriously though, thats a nice find and i would be sure to guess most other people didn't know about these either. Awesome, another nice little touch from apple. I love how apple sneaks those in. :)

but then you'll get the people complaining about how its two clicks instead of one on a button.. :rolleyes:

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
but then you'll get the people complaining about how its two clicks instead of one on a button.. :rolleyes:

Hahaha. I love when people play on the stereotypes of other mac users (or are they secretly PC users sent to destroy our nice little forum) :rolleyes:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
now i get it, people actually like "easy way", just didn't want to admit it when defending apple.:p

Still, its a good addition in 3.1. Lets get more!:D

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I am not here to sit and defend Apple when they don't deserve it. I like safari because its nicer than any other browser out there. It works better for me. Apple did a good job with safari and they will keep at it. And while it looks and responds the way it does now, I will continue to use it.

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
I am not here to sit and defend Apple when they don't deserve it. I like safari because its nicer than any other browser out there. It works better for me. Apple did a good job with safari and they will keep at it. And while it looks and responds the way it does now, I will continue to use it.

Same here :D

I love Safari over Firefox.

Anyway, yes. This is a good feature :D

But a feature I love even more is how I can press cmd+click to open a link in a new tab. Doesn't work with Javascript links but works fine on Macrumors and other forums. Good for looking at lots of threads without going back to the index :) Especially good on a forum like this where each refresh means you see a new heap of threads at the top.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
How is double clicking on the tab bar any faster? Keyboard shortcuts for the win.

I noticed this one accidentally in the newest Safari one day when my finger spazzed out while closing a tab. Suddenly I had a new blank one open.

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
How is double clicking on the tab bar any faster? Keyboard shortcuts for the win.

I noticed this one accidentally in the newest Safari one day when my finger spazzed out while closing a tab. Suddenly I had a new blank one open.

While you could argue it's pointless, if you're opening all the RSS feeds and bookmarks you have on the bookmark menu on your first round of the day, I could see how it's useful.

Open Safari. Go to bookmark one. Double click tab bar. Go to bookmark two. Double click tab bar. Go to bookmark three... And so on. Would be less time consuming in a situation like that that pressing cmd+t then selecting the bookmark.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
While you could argue it's pointless, if you're opening all the RSS feeds and bookmarks you have on the bookmark menu on your first round of the day, I could see how it's useful.

Open Safari. Go to bookmark one. Double click tab bar. Go to bookmark two. Double click tab bar. Go to bookmark three... And so on. Would be less time consuming in a situation like that that pressing cmd+t then selecting the bookmark.

I suppose, but any bookmark you use that often should be on your bookmarks bar. I've been using "folders" of bookmarks on my bookmarks bar set to open as tabs for years now: RSS articles get aggregated, and regular sites open in multiple tabs with one click.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Whether it's faster or not depends on where you have your hands at the moment. Usually when I'm browsing, I have my hand on the mouse. In the past (and, actually, most of the time now) I'd just drag links up to the tab bar, but this is a nice option.

The fastest way would be to command-click each bookmark.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
WTF? I never knew that. Just tried it on Firefox and, sure enough, it works! Cool. Me am learning stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.