Instantly download email with Gmail

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ohsnap, Oct 4, 2014.

1. ohsnap macrumors regular

I use both Yahoo and Gmail for my email and have both configured for IMAP in iOS. Yahoo emails appear instantly without my having to launch Mail.app to get messages. Gmail on the other hand requires that I launch Mail.app for anything to actually download. I have IMAP enabled both server side and in iOS, but nothing is instant or "pushed" like Yahoo mail. Does anyone know how to instantly push mail from Gmail to iOS?

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

You can go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data. Here, you can see whether individual accounts are set to Push or Fetch, and you can set the fetch interval at the bottom (if defaults to manual check only.)

That said, Apple's mail client for iOS does not support push over IMAP, period (IMAP's push-like protocol IMAP-IDLE is not power efficient on mobile devices.) So in the configuration you mentioned, neither email account should be downloading mail as soon as it's received - but rather should be downloading it according to the fetch schedule.

There are only two ways to get Push mail using Apple's mail client: 1. Use an iCloud account, which uses Apple's proprietary Push protocol, or 2. Use an Exchange ActiveSync account, which uses Microsoft's proprietary push protocol. If both your accounts are truly set up as IMAP, you should not be getting push mail at all.

3. Ries macrumors 68000