Instapaper and rss feeds question

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by bunger, May 19, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I am using news rack and just bought instapaper this morning. One of my news rack feeds is the new York times. I have found that when I send a nyt article from news rack to instapaper, instapaper shows a message about the content not being available and i need to go to the full web page to view anything about the article - which seems to defeat the purpose.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Did you create an Instapaper account yet? I think that sounds like you have not done that yet. Log in one time to the Instapaper App and that will go away I think?

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

That was the first thing I had to do when I launched instapaper for the first time...

4. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

The article in instapaper says:

Feeds.nytimes.com may require a login or the site did not respond when instapaper contacted it

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

It may be that the information is behind a pay wall or require log in etc.
    I've not had that happen yet. See what happens when you are logged in and save to instapaper?

Guess I'm not certain at the moment.

6. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Instapaper on the iPad prompts me to either Redownload the article or Visit the original website. Redownloading fails though visiting the website renders the page fine.

If I log into my account on the Instapaper.com website it works as expected. Not sure what is going on, but it is kinda annoying...

7. smotheredhope macrumors regular

I've been using instapaper in conjunction with newsstand/newsrack for over 2 years now with over 1000 feeds and I have never ran into this problem.

8. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you using any feeds from the New York Times?

9. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Could use some help here.....

1. I use Google Reader for my RSS feeds. Must have 100 feeds there, don't want to copy/paste them into another reader. I'm a Google Reader guy, not going to set up all my feeds in another app or site.

2. I travel often. When I do, I'd like to pull down all my unread news articles from Google Reader while in airplane mode and read them offline.

Question:

Is there a single iPad app that will a) pull down my Google Reader unread articles and b) archive them for offline reading like on a 14 hour flight to Hong Kong?

I see that some are using instapaper + a newsreader.....is that the only way? Bottom line is that if I've got 514 unread RSS articles in Google Reader, I'd like to pull them all down for offline reading. Possible?

TIA

BJ