Instead of Apple software on disc's maybe they can use usb drive's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howya111, Feb 22, 2011.

1. howya111 macrumors newbie

I don't know a lot about computer tech so please excuse me if I sound ignorant but I had a, I guess what you would call an epiphany, the other day.

My brother gave me a copy of office for windows to install on my pc with a usb of all things, and while it was installing I was thinking how great it would be if my mac didn't need an optical drive at all (forgeting about movies for a second) and I could install software with a usb or some other similar type of tech. Now I don't know all the cons of the usb for doing this sorta thing but I think that the basic premise seems promising if not with a usb then with some other type of tech.

What do you think?

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

they're already doing it with macbook airs since they dont have disc drives.

[​IMG]

3. macmac88 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

MacBook air already does this

4. euphrus macrumors member

they've already started to do this with the restore software for the macbook airs but i can imagine they will make it universal and completely use usb sticks for restore software in all macs since they are begining to lose their optical drives. All other software will be distributed through the mac app store

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You mean like this?
    ScreenCap 5.PNG

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

7. Scippy macrumors regular

Or if they are introducing lightpeak on Thursday as well, they may start using lightpeak drives instead. :eek:

8. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

name one single lightpeak accessory on the market right now.

imo, going with lightpeak is ridiculous since very few manufacturers will support this limited, proprietary standard. i fear it will die like firewire seemingly has. i just hope apple is smart enough to include USB3 in the new macbooks.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No one supports it because it's not out yet...

10. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

fail thread.

it already exists, the mba uses it, but hopefully apple rolls it out to all macs.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I'm surprised the MacBook Pros didn't get the USB Snow Leopard install. I guess DVDs being cheaper made the decision easier.

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I hear they are already doing this with the MacBook Air...;)