Instead of internal SSD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by agaskew, Aug 5, 2010.

1. agaskew macrumors 6502

...as a compromise, I was thinking of getting an external 128Gb USB SSD to store data, files and virtual machines. I don't use the MBA on the move much - it spends a lot of time hooked up to a USB hub and external monitor.

Although this wouldn't be as fast as an internal SSD for some stuff, wouldn't it be reasonable? I don't really care how long it takes to start up the MBA, hardly ever reboot it anyway. Could even install some programs on the external SSD.

Anyone found any gotchas doing this* - is the USB speed fast enough generally?

Thanks!

*Superdrive notwithstanding

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

An SSD connected to USB? Sounds like a recipe for bottlenecking if you ask me.

3. agaskew thread starter macrumors 6502

Hence "compromise". The internal 4200 HDD is a fair bottleneck as well.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

There is literally no point in using an external SSD. As Jessica said, you're just gonna have the USB bottlenecking it. Wouldn't be any faster than an external 5400Rpm HDD. Why don't you just put the SSD inside, and get an external hard drive, makes more sense.

5. agaskew thread starter macrumors 6502

The options to upgrade to an internal SSD seem to be Runcore or....anything else? Runcore seem to provide patchy documentation & support.