Instead of updated warranty, BB is replacing with new computer?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rmp71701, May 6, 2014.

1. rmp71701 macrumors member

Anybody ever heard of this? Is there something I need to be wary of that I'm not catching here?

So about a month ago, I got an MBA through Open Box at Best Buy. At the time, the sales rep said the returned computer was 15 days old or less (based on their return policy + some paperwork, I guess), so I figured I had nearly a full year warranty on it.

I took it to the Apple store to get it looked over & the Genius said the warranty was actually activated back in January - meaning I lost 3 months worth of warranty.

So I called Apple & explained the situation, & they told me I have to talk to BB and have them submit a form to Apple to change the warranty. Ok, fine. So I called BB & after talking to 4 different people, got put through to a helpful person at Geek Squad Central. It took her 30 minutes, but what she finally came back and told me was this:

No one she talked to had ever heard of submitting a warranty change form to Apple. She talked to the managers at the physical store too, and what they decided was that I could return my open box MBA for a brand new one instead.

I asked if the offer was for the new 2014 or the older 2013 model, but she said she didn't know and I'd have to just ask the manager about it.

In some ways, this is a bit of an inconvenience (there is nothing technically wrong with the MBA I have now), but in other ways I don't mind getting a brand new one, since it would be a pristine new one vs. the used-and-returned one I have now.

BTW, if I have the choice, should I go for the updated 2014 MBA, or the 2013 model? - I know there is a slight processor upgrade but I didn't know if there were any positives about sticking with the 2013 model.

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

You didn't say whether what you bought was a base or an upgraded model MBA, because apparently only the base models got a minor processor boost from 1.3 GHz to 1.4GHz, while the upgraded 1.7GHz models are unchanged, other than the price, of course.

If given the choice, I'd say the newer unit is preferable (ie, no known disadvantages, I'm aware of), but given that they offer you a brand new unit for the price of an open box unit, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The newer model only has a slight edge, and only on the base model, whereas you are now getting a brand new model with full warranty. Either way, you're coming out ahead. Well done!

3. rmp71701 thread starter macrumors member

I had purchased the open box base model MBA, so I'm looking at the slight increase if they give me the 2014.

Yeah I was really surprised with the verdict on this one. Totally wasn't expecting the new computer offer. It almost sounds too good to be true - which is why I wanted to post it up here to see if there's something I'm missing. I talked to the manager by phone earlier to confirm everything, & it seems she is sincerely just trying to make sure the customer is happy (I didn't ask her at the time if the new one will be 2013 or 2014 - didn't want to come across ungrateful or nitpicky).

The only guess I have as to why I got this break is the timing of the deals going on with MBA's right now + too much of a hassle for BB to try to change warranty with Apple.

4. K___H macrumors newbie

Best Buy actually gives their managers quite a bit of leeway. So, I suspect this is legit and you'll get a great deal.

After the new Airs were announced last week, I tried to get one with the student discount from BB for my son, whom we home school. Obviously we don't have an EDU email address. The local manager (where they do not sell Apple computers due to Apple's limitations on minimum square footage) called the store 35 miles away. He said they'd do something for me.

So I drove over to the other store. They only had the display left, which the manager said they could not sell. But after 10 minutes, he decided he could. So, rather than the $650 I thought I'd pay for a new one, I got the display for $550 -- with a new warranty as of Sunday May 4th. I need to follow up with Apple to be sure the warranty is correct, but I have no reason to doubt it.

The machine is clean. It has 43 battery cycles, per Coconut Battery, and is about the same size and weight as my wife's iPad 2 with its Belkin keyboard case; and hugely more useful.

Plus, it's a lot faster than our 7 year old MacBook Pro 17! Add me to the list for a 4K 17 MacBook Pro still, though.

5. rmp71701 thread starter macrumors member

That's impressive - congrats on that deal. I have of course been pleased with the MBA for the month I've had it. Mind you, I was replacing a 2006 Dell dinosaur, so the MBA flies in comparison. I debated between the rMBP & the Air, but there was such a huge price difference, and the Air will do all I need it to, as I am a light/basic user.

Yeah, I gathered the managers have a lot of room for working with customers. When I got the open box 13" base MBA, I asked if they could discount it any more. The manager approved another $50 off - all because I just asked. With student coupon, I paid $750 after tax. And now that translates over to a brand new computer - all because I just asked about updating warranty. So moral of my story - never hurts to ask!

6. rmp71701 thread starter macrumors member

So I went in yesterday to make the switch. They gave me the new 2014 MBA, sealed and brand-spankin' new.

It was a bit amusing to see the reaction of the customer sales agent that was helping me when she confirmed the managers offer for a new computer. I told her I was kind of baffled to, but hey, I'll take it. Turns out that the agents at this BB all assumed that Apple would reset the warranty themselves on Open Box when the customer called about it. When Apple sent me back to BB to have them initiate it, they didn't know how to handle my case, so they had to just opt for the computer switch.

I'll say this - kudos to BB (at least this particular one) for proactively making sure the customer stays satisfied.

7. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity