instillation issues with Office Mac 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Heceden, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Heceden macrumors newbie

hi a week ago i bought a macbook.

today i tried to install office: mac 2008 on trying this i am greeted with the following message

"Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac can't be installed on this disk. newer-version-installed-message"

any ideas what this and what i should do?

Cheers

2. NOSintake macrumors member

Do you have a trial version of Office 2008 on there already?

3. Heceden thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't think i do....i bought it off the shelf so i assume not

4. Heceden thread starter macrumors newbie

just add to that i've doubled checked in finder and can see no reference to microsoft.....

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I have read somewhere before that you have to have Rosetta installed before you can try to run the Office 2008 installer. Insert your Mac OS Install DVD, run the Optional Installs package to put Rosetta on, and then re-run the installer for Office.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Office 2008 is Intel-compatible. It should run just fine without Rosetta.

The OP's error message is clear. His computer either has Office 2008 installed currently, or a previous installation of Office 2008 was improperly removed. The previous installation would not have been the trial version because it is newer than the version that he is trying to install now.

He should be able to use his distribution DVD for Office 2008 to uninstall the previous installation. Then he should reinstall it from his DVD.

7. Heceden thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help on this....

given im really new to using a mac could you talk me through the steps i should take in order to do this?

Cheers

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

The application is Intel-compatible, but the installer or some other application that gets run when tring to install the program isn't. I have seen this posted before but can't remember where (MRgoogle it?). The OP should try after installing Rosetta. Rosetta does not take up much disk space and no memory when it isn't running so there are no disadvantages to having it installed.
    :eek:MS:eek:

9. jetoo macrumors member

Can you provide a screenshot?
    When you are at the "scan for a previous version" window where you can see your disk, it search for previous version, and you can't select the disk where you want to install it. You have to wait a little.