Instinct Ads and Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapppy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. slapppy macrumors 65816

Been to the movies and much to my surprise people were actually noticing these phones. I think the iPhone awareness has opened their eyes a bit. The bad part is, they walk away thinking its as good as or even better than the iPhone. That huge marketing campaign might be just paying off. Specially if they keep that comparison in which they trounce the iPhone up and shown more often. How does Apple counter that kind of campaign?

2. The General macrumors 601

Anyone who has used an iPhone will know that the Instinct is garbage. There is no need to freak out.

Competition is good regardless, this will push Apple to add new features to the iPhone. It will only be good for us in the end.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sell the 3G iPhone 8GB/$199 (Black) & 16GB/$299 (Black or White) starting July 11, 2008. The 3G iPhone will sell itself...:p

4. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats the problem. These people have never seen the iPhone close up. So they walk away pretty impressed based on what they see vs the old Apple iPhone commercials. The new Apple ad is great but it does nothing to smack that Instinct iPhone clone/copy cat POS down.

5. Mo0st macrumors newbie

Barely touch the smexi iPhone

yea I do feel bad for the people that buy the instinct or dare.... Not knowing of the iPhone true capabilities :)... Except sprint does have that amazing unlim. Family plan which is verry gooood :).... However the instinct finally is a good phone from sprint :$... To bad we dont have that get payed $20 if u submit an instinct video in youtube :(... Ahh bit yes good competition will make the iPhone a beast :)... Can't wait till that appstorw ::()

6. Maxington macrumors 6502

My fav part about the ads during the movies is that it actually says "iphone" 2 or 3 times in the ad... Kinda gives Apple a little free promotion!

7. manhattanmania macrumors regular

thats how i feel for the people who dont know verizon's true capabilities. i gave up verizon's perfect service for the original iphone and ATT drove me away within a few months. no matter how amazing the iphone is, which i do believe is the best phone on the market, if it cant make and receive phone calls as perfectly as it does everything else, then it's a no. i really wish it wasnt on ATT. verizon has been awesome and tho i am tempted pretty much on a daily basis to try ATT again for the iphone 3G, i know better.

(last night in nyc, one floor down at a restaurant... friend with tmobile? no service. friend with att? no service. me with verizon? full service. that made up my mind. dare for me.)

if people have had both verizon and ATT and are sticking with ATT after experiencing verizon's perfect service, i simply cant comprehend it. and my complaints about ATT have been confirmed by about 30 people ive asked over the past year, so i know its not just me.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The Instinct has voice control, MMS, video camera, EVDO Rev A, Sprint TV, and even GPS with an actual car navigation app, realtime traffic routing, and voice directions.

That's a lot of things that iPhone owners have been asking for a long time. And probably will be, for a long time.

Not to mention the ability to swap in different 8GB cards. And batteries.... use your phone all day at work, then come home... slap in the other included battery.... and off you go for the night life.

No wonder it's selling like hotcakes to Sprint users. And there's the point: different carriers. It's not like either it or the iPhone is available to everyone.

9. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

All this is true-- Apple and its fanboys can rest on their laurels all they want, but Apple needs to wake up and start offering some functionality to iPhone that we all have been asking for for a year (and other phones have offered for some time)

10. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

This is what Sprint is doing because they're scared, really really scared of the iPhone and now the iPhone 3G.

They quiver in fear and make insulting videos trying to point out just a couple features that the Instinct has over the iPhone. With the iPhone 3G, they lost faster browsing and GPS, whoop-de-friggin-do the Instinct has MMS. The user experience with Apple's multi-touch products is what kills all others in comparison.

Edit: I'm referring to Sprint's "Instinct VS. iPhone" ads. Which is what I automatically assumed you were talking about... whoops. :p
    Edit 2: Oh wait, was it the "Instinct VS. iPhone" ads that were playing during the movie?

Also, as a side note I despise those ads with all of my soul. I really hope Apple releases online ads showing how the iPhone 3G browses the web faster than the Instinct (I'm assuming), and another one showing installing 3rd party applications through an organized store right onto your phone.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

anyone else think its ridiculious that sprint is actually PAYING people to put the instinct into a home made product placement ad on youtube?
    the first 1000 entries will get 20 dollars
    but in order to enter, you must buy an instinct for 140 bucks and sign a 2 year plan

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Very clever and economical use of advertising dollars, actually.

As for paying people, there's the 100 million dollar iFund to seed companies making iPhone software. But only what, three companies have been picked so far (with a few more being considered). Not that's ridiculous.

And the iFund is money that has to be paid back. Google's Android contest prizes with no-strings-attached funds is pretty nice.

13. kvasir macrumors regular

Wait a minute....Verizon is far from perfect. I had terrible problems with Verizon, especially on road trips. Friends with Cingular/ATT? Just fine. My Verizon phone? Not so much. I had a couple of different phones and had issues with service: dropped calls, static, no reception. I lived in a Verizon heavy area too and was surprised I had issues. I've talked to others with similar issues.

I'll be the first to say AT&T is far from perfect. But all cell phone companies aren't even close. Verizon has great service in many areas, but so do the other companies. Let's not pretend that Verizon is perfect though. I have friends who are just as happy with Sprint or T-Mobile. If it works for you, great. Verizon is not the be-all, end all....and neither is Apple for that matter. ;)

Again, it goes back to the fact that different companies are stronger in different areas. Around here, Verizon has dead spots, whereas AT&T has great coverage.

14. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Ditto. Verizon in my area SUCKS. I've never had a dropped call, and I always have full bars. No matter where I am. I'll be out with friends, and my friends with Verizon will be complaining about how they have no service, and those of us with AT&T show off our full bars lol.

15. Mad Mac macrumors regular

Depending on what one's needs are, it could very well be better. Both the LG Dare and the Samsung Instinct have definitive features that trump the iPhone IMO. I have a feeling that all the haters here haven't even seen a Dare or Instinct in person. Is everyone here biased just to be biased or do you actually have real world experience with these other phones?

Hmm...funny but doesn't Apple do the same kinds of ads with the whole Mac vs PC thing?

I have not seen any reports of AT&T 3G being faster than Sprint or Verizon's EVDO network. As far as I know, in optimal conditions they're all similar in speed. But I have seen how speeds vary due to network coverage. Sprint has a relatively large network and I believe Verizon does as well. Here in Silicon Valley my AT&T phone is constantly jumping between 3G and EDGE, even though I'm supposed to be pretty well covered with 3G.

And as for GPS, the iPhone doesn't have turn-by-turn coverage, which makes it worthless to me. How can you even say that it's better than Sprint's or Verizon's offerings!??? Will there be something allowing for turn-by-turn in the App Store? Probably. But at what cost? $10, $50, $200??? And even then, will it actually be "better"?

I don't think it's ridiculous. I find people that camp out to buy electronic goods ridiculous. But I'm not gonna rain on their parade.

I'm going to wait to get some hands on experience with all 3 phones before I make judgement.

16. The General macrumors 601

I don't think they quite understand it. It doesn't matter what features they give their phones, they are resorting to directly compare their phone to the iPhone in advertisements to get sales. They have already lost.

The Instinct is crap without the AppStore and it is crap without Cocoa Touch. It's crap without iTunes syncing, and it's crap without MobileMe support. It's crap without being able to be used on AT&T which is the only carrier I will ever use, and its web browser is utter garbage.

Allow me to clarify: The Instinct is crap, regardless of what features they may have tacked onto it that the iPhone lacks.

17. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Owie. That burned, alot :eek:
    Especially the Mac VS. PC comment. You are very, very right. But with the Instinct VS. iPhone Sprint is trying to convince you that a product that in my opinion is worse, is better. With Mac VS. PC, I agree with what they're saying. They're trying to prove that Macs are better, and I agree with them on that. All my opinion, obviously PC fanboys would hate Mac VS. PC commercials, just as me, an iPhone fanboy, hates Instinct VS. iPhone ads.

As to the internet, I assumed that the iPhone, with a faster processor (620 mhz) against the Instinct (all I can find is that is has a 200 mhz processor, not 100% sure though) would process web pages faster. As for GPS, I didn't know the iPhone didn't have turn-by-turn directions. Don't you only need to press a little arrow? :eek: I guess you got me on most of you points, but as I said, this goes for Macs and the iPhone, the user-experience makes these products my faves, and exceptional devices.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The iPhone processor is throttled to 412 MHz to conserve battery.

There's a good reason why Apple doesn't post detailed specs. They can be used against them, as well as for. Take a cue from Apple and avoid iPhone hardware comparisons :)

It has the original Google Map turn list, which of course is nothing like the realtime navigation, with voice guidance, that people are accustomed to having in their car.

People point out that a nav app could be added via the App Store. Well, when that actually happens, they can bring it up. (People have also been saying for a year that any moment now we should have Flash, copy/paste, MMS, etc.)

It makes me crazy that Apple hasn't even accepted companies like TomTom into the developer program. Who is running this circus?

Cheers - Kev

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Selling like hotcakes show me the #'s until then it's just an Instinct on sprint who's leaving ATT, Verizon, Tmobile ect. to get the Instinct. If all these phone was much better than the iPhone they would need to say they were iPhone killer

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

As the Apple iPod has demonstrated, it's not the features, it's the USABILITY of the features.

BTW, Verizon charges for every minute feature you use separately. If you can't figure out how to use some features without bringing along the user manual or paying extra, are the features really there?

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're missing the point.

The under-dog is the one who compares themselves to the competition. So Macs, with their smaller user share, point out how they're better than Windows.

And maybe someone like Six Flags might compare themselves to Disney. Or a small tea company could say "we have less sugar than Coke."

But the guys on top NEVER compare themselves to anyone else. That's just the way it works. Why acknowledge them and give them free exposure? Apple sells Macs with ads like this, but you will NEVER see them do a "I'm an iPod and I'm a Zune" ad. Never in million years. Why? Because the iPod is on top.

So the point here is that Sprint is ACKNOWLEDGING that the iPhone is on top and that Sprint's phone is the underdog! That's pretty amazing. They DON'T think that they're the ones to beat. They think they have to do the beating! With this one add they've exposed their mind-set, which is this: "We are afraid of the iPhone."

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That seems logical, yes. And not surprising, since the Sprint phone is newer.

By your own examples, is Six Flags "afraid" of Disney? Is the small tea company "afraid" of Coke?

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd say 'yes,' but it does illustrate that "afraid" might not be the exact right word here.

Perhaps "wary of" is a better phrase? My message is not changed, but I'm just admitting that this might be a better way of putting it.

The little guy is always going to be "wary of" or "afraid of" the big guy. I see it as the same thing. The problem with the word "afraid" is that it attributes too much human emotion to the company, which isn't what I mean. But take that aspect out of it and I don't think it's too far off.