Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I expect to pick up my preorder at the AT&T store on friday. I am curious if they will be just handing me the box or if we will wait there for activation? I am not sure if they have been specific about that this year.

Of course last year was such a disaster with in store activation across the country that by the time it got to Hawaii they were just handing those of us doing upgrades a phone to take home. Only new accounts were stuck there setting things up.

Thankfully this year the world will not be upgrading iTunes, the iPhone OS, AND activating new phones all at the same moment so maybe it would actually work to activate in the store.

Being in Hawaii (and the last place to get phones) I get the luxury of watching this forum for problems long before I have to set up my own phone.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I expect to pick up my preorder at the AT&T store on friday. I am curious if they will be just handing me the box or if we will wait there for activation? I am not sure if they have been specific about that this year.

Of course last year was such a disaster with in store activation across the country that by the time it got to Hawaii they were just handing those of us doing upgrades a phone to take home. Only new accounts were stuck there setting things up.

Thankfully this year the world will not be upgrading iTunes, the iPhone OS, AND activating new phones all at the same moment so maybe it would actually work to activate in the store.

Being in Hawaii (and the last place to get phones) I get the luxury of watching this forum for problems long before I have to set up my own phone.

I was talking to my ATT sales person when I pre-ordered and he said I will have to activate at the store

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I was talking to my ATT sales person when I pre-ordered and he said I will have to activate at the store

That is realy a bad ideas on ATT's part. Could save a ton of time letting people do it at home.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
Are you a new customer or are you upgrading an existing line? I am upgrading one of my accounts that was eligable for upgrade at the $299 price. I have no problem either way but only wanted to be prepared.

I would expect new customers to get activated while in the store. I do not mind the extra wait if it works. I can walk out with a usable phone.

I have also been checking out new cases but I am afraid to buy one before friday because last year they had a bunch of great specials in the store that day.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
I have no clue about this year with the 3GS, but last year with the 3G they just let me take it home to activate it. I was also already a customer.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Going to be so ticked if..................

I sure hope mine activates in iTunes since mine will be delivered to my home.

I was going to start a new post to address this, but I will just mention it here. I am going to be soooooo pissed if ATT drops the ball, and my phone is not delivered on the 19th. I debated ordering it on line or going to the store. I don't mind getting in line at 4:00 am, almost sounds like fun.

However, come Friday, if I watch the FED EX truck drive off without stopping. UGH! What then, call some ATT rep that has no clue, and have them tell me they are on intergalactic back order, and there is nothing they or I can do about it.

So I should have pre ordered, and got there bright and early. Will post back Friday!

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I have also been checking out new cases but I am afraid to buy one before friday because last year they had a bunch of great specials in the store that day.

Search ebay for ifrogz Luxe, and order now. Great price, and you will have it before Friday. Great case, and good price!

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I really am wondering if it is going to be an iTunes activation or in store. I was told, by the AT&T store that I ordered at, that I need to have an authorized account holder there to sign the contract, which makes me believe that it's going to be an in store activation process.

wr1020

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I ordered mine through apple.com and i'm having it shipped to my house. I'm a brand new att customer and was told i can do everything through itunes so i'm going that route. I don't want to have to deal with lines and driving to the apple store etc when i can just do it all from home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.