Instore Pickup To Reduce Lines?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wiggum, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Wiggum macrumors member

Sorry if this has already been posted...

This is the first major announcement I can remember since Apple has done a full in store pickup. Anyone think they are going to make this an "Order Online, Pick Up In Store" deal to make everything go smoothly? I'd love to be able to order online and just stop by the store to pick mine up on launch day.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

How would this reduce lines? You would still have to wait to get your iPad. By your logic, that would actually make lines worse, not better.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, they did the "order online, pickup instore" with the first iPad, and I picked it up without having to stand in line.

4. Doombringer macrumors regular

If there is demand, you'll still have a line. They can only process orders so quickly -- you come to the store, go to the desk, prove your order is in fact yours, they go to the stock area, grab it, present it to you, tag the sale as picked-up, etc...

In theory, it only takes slightly less time than it would for a full transaction (CC/debit).

The best way to avoid a line is to ship it to your home. :)

5. deeddawg macrumors 603

Agreed, with the additional comment that presumably ordering online for in-store pickup means you're assured of getting your desired color and configuration.

Agreed, still the best choice even if it means you have to wait an extra week. If it means waiting three weeks, I might consider standing on a line, but might well just wait it out. It's not like it's a heart transplant, life will go on.

6. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Apple wants lines.

I don't think they'll allow in-store pickup until the day after release.

But we all know quantities are going to be so scarce even that won't be a viable option for most stores until a few weeks after launch.

7. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

Did anyone try the order online/pickup option for the 4S? I am weighing picking it up vs. just having it shipped to me. I have an apple store on the way home from work, so it would be easy to pick it up--- but I don't want to wait in line forever either.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not for the iPhone, but as I said, when I did it for the original iPad, there was no wait. Walked in, sailed past the people who had not pre-ordered, and walked out with my iPad.

9. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

Nice.

10. falcora macrumors 6502

But it would make things go super quick when the exact launch times come around if they just rang you up while you were in line, gave you a voucher. Then at 5pm (or whenever) you could walk in, grab your pad, and walk out.

11. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Did they have the ipad 2 available to be shipped to your home the day it released?

12. deeddawg macrumors 603