Instructional video

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Lazzer R1, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Lazzer R1 macrumors member

Hi,

I'd like to create an instructional video on how to play a song on the guitar using a backing track.

At the moment, i have the guitar plugged into my iMac and i have a backing track in mp3 format.

I cannot find a way in imovie, to play the backing track and record a movie. I can play the backing track in itunes and then add it to the movie afterwards, but then i need to make sure i get the backing track to start at the same time that i start to play the guitar, which isn't easy.

The only other way i can think of doing this, is to output everything to the speakers and then record it using the mic, which i'm sure will be bad quality and frobably cause feedback?!

Any suggestions? Will Adobe premier be able to do this?

2. TTripp macrumors newbie

I've been trying to do the same sort of thing. I have Guitar Rig 3 loaded on my iMac, running my guitar into a firewire interface, but there seems to be no way to get the Guitar Rig signal into iMovie. All I get is the raw (unprocessed) guitar signal in iMovie. (I'm doing a simple video capture using the iSight camera) I CAN record the track in GarageBand using Guitar Rig 3, but then (as you've discovered), syncing up the audio and video is (so far) impossible.

What I know WILL work is running the output of an external guitar processor (something like a POD) and the backing track from an seperate MP3/CD player into a small mixer, then taking that combined output from the mixer into my audio interface, and into iMovie. I was hoping to be able to accomplish everything within the iMac, but there seems to be no way to tell iMovie to get its audio directly from Guitar Rig or GarageBand.

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Well I guess this is not the answer you're looking for, but here's what I'd probably do:

Seeing as your setup won't be timecode based, everything will be done manually, but it shouldn't be too hard syncing the audio and visual together in the following way.

Record enable garageband, sending in your guitar/mic signal. Record enable your DV camera, you'll be recording onto tape.

Start recording both. Before you start talking or playing, click your finger/clap your hands/slap your guitar/etc once so that you can sync that specific sound together later.

Now do your stuff.

Import video (including sound, obv) from your DV tape into iMovie (iMovie HD). Export audio from Garageband in WAV format onto desktop or whatever. Import audio from desktop into iMovie.

Place the imported video on the timeline. Right click on the video and choose (extract audio). When the audio file appears under the picture, right click on each audio files and choose 'show audio wave form'.

Match the sound (click your finger/clap your hands/slap your guitar/etc) you made at the start, and then play both tracks and see if they match properly.
    If it sounds alright, mute or delete the audio track extracted from the video, and you're done! You might want to click command + L to lock the audio down in case you edit the picture.

Yeah, you're looking to do this all in one step, but I don't think it's possible.
    Hell, professional work is done in this manner, albeit with a timecode for proper syncing.

Hope this helps!

4. Lazzer R1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

I was hoping that i was just being stupid, but it seems that its not supported.

Junior, I do not have a video camera at all, but i have tried doing this with the isight cam, but it was so difficult to get the audio to match the video.

I have an input splitter, which allows two inputs into one. I might try this and put the backing track on my ipod, but i have a feeling it it only mono.

I'll let you know what i sort out.