Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
All I'm trying to do is add a transition between two clips (Using Command T) which I have done thousands of times, but now I'm getting this error and its really frustrating me! What am I overlooking?? Thanks!

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I can't add a transition between any clips! Its gotta be something small I'm overlooking

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Dough! That's the one of the three I don't use. Take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I have never used it, but in FCP there are a number of ways to add a transition. CMD-T, right-clicking to add a standard disolve, and a drag and drop. Have you tried any other way to add a transition? If that doesn't work, I'm utterly useless to you.:(

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
yeah, I've tried all those ways! I don't understand what the problem is! Thanks for trying to help though!:)

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
You may want to try to zoom in on the timeline. It's possible that there is a random frame or two stuck between the clips. Sometimes it can happen if you razor the clips.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I've zoomed all the way in and there is no blank space. I'm really frustrated over this!

bkvideography

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
it's not about the clips being long enough, it's about the in and out points being set right at the end of the clip.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Here are the instructions for FCP. Hopefully they are the same. Just hit r-r and go to the edge of the clip where you want a transition and drag it back 15 frames or so. Do this on both clips and then add the transition and it should work.

I'm just curious if there is a way to have fcp or fce do this automatically so you don't have to adjust it each time???

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
I have the exact same problem with FCE, and never quite figured it out. It seems almost random. My best guess is that the handles aren't big enough for the transition.

But if someone could give us the whole story on this problem that would really help.

Proto Media

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2006
Gnar Cal
this might help

when you add a transition in FCP, the transition doesn't cut into the existing media that you see on the timeline, rather it goes 15 frames before your in point and starts the transition there, it also does the same for the preceding clip, going 15 frames AFTER the outpoint. If you have your in points and out points set so that they start right on frame one of the media you cut it from, then when you add the transition it doesn't have those 15 frames to go back on and start the transition, because your in point is already on frame 1. you need to make sure that you have atleast a 15 frame buffer on either side of your media, so that when you add the transition it has those frames to start the transition. I know this sounds a little confusing, but hopefully it should help.

- Ryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.