Insuffentient content for edit: ERROR! help please

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Josephkyles, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

All I'm trying to do is add a transition between two clips (Using Command T) which I have done thousands of times, but now I'm getting this error and its really frustrating me! What am I overlooking?? Thanks!

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

3. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

4. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

I can't add a transition between any clips! Its gotta be something small I'm overlooking

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

It would help all of us if you also told us what software you're running. iMovie, FCE, or FCP?

6. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

Oh!! I'm so sorry! I'm using Final Cut Express! Sorry about that

7. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Dough! That's the one of the three I don't use. Take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I have never used it, but in FCP there are a number of ways to add a transition. CMD-T, right-clicking to add a standard disolve, and a drag and drop. Have you tried any other way to add a transition? If that doesn't work, I'm utterly useless to you.:(

8. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I've tried all those ways! I don't understand what the problem is! Thanks for trying to help though!:)

9. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You may want to try to zoom in on the timeline. It's possible that there is a random frame or two stuck between the clips. Sometimes it can happen if you razor the clips.

10. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

I've zoomed all the way in and there is no blank space. I'm really frustrated over this!

11. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

12. bkvideography macrumors member

it's not about the clips being long enough, it's about the in and out points being set right at the end of the clip.

13. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Here are the instructions for FCP. Hopefully they are the same. Just hit r-r and go to the edge of the clip where you want a transition and drag it back 15 frames or so. Do this on both clips and then add the transition and it should work.

I'm just curious if there is a way to have fcp or fce do this automatically so you don't have to adjust it each time???

14. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I have the exact same problem with FCE, and never quite figured it out. It seems almost random. My best guess is that the handles aren't big enough for the transition.

But if someone could give us the whole story on this problem that would really help.

15. Proto Media macrumors member

this might help

when you add a transition in FCP, the transition doesn't cut into the existing media that you see on the timeline, rather it goes 15 frames before your in point and starts the transition there, it also does the same for the preceding clip, going 15 frames AFTER the outpoint. If you have your in points and out points set so that they start right on frame one of the media you cut it from, then when you add the transition it doesn't have those 15 frames to go back on and start the transition, because your in point is already on frame 1. you need to make sure that you have atleast a 15 frame buffer on either side of your media, so that when you add the transition it has those frames to start the transition. I know this sounds a little confusing, but hopefully it should help.

- Ryan