Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metamercurial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Hi,

I just bought a Dlink NAS and tried to put files into it from my mac but it keeps giving me the insufficient privileges error. The drive in the NAS is formatted with NTFS but im connected to it through samba (and the info column of the server shown in finder says the format is in smb too).

So, does the format of the NAS hard disk matter if im using a mac? And, is the error message due to the format or just mere permissions problem?

Thanks in advance anyway

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I think your problem lies in the way you set up your user accounts on the dlink end. Mac doesn't care about the format of the destination drive. If it's windows format, OSX creates lots of little hidden files to store extra metadata but it can use the drive just fine. Are you logged in to the dlink NAS as guest? Take a look at the configuration web page for the dlink by pointing a web browser to the address of the dlink unit. Make sure you set up an account which has read/write access to the disk and make sure you log in using that account from your Mac and you should be good to go.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Hi,

I just bought a Dlink NAS and tried to put files into it from my mac but it keeps giving me the insufficient privileges error. The drive in the NAS is formatted with NTFS but im connected to it through samba (and the info column of the server shown in finder says the format is in smb too).

So, does the format of the NAS hard disk matter if im using a mac? And, is the error message due to the format or just mere permissions problem?

Thanks in advance anyway

Are you up on your OS X updates? I had this same trouble connecting to NTFS work servers with Samba that was fixed in 10.5.3 and still works well in 10.5.4.

metamercurial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Are you up on your OS X updates? I had this same trouble connecting to NTFS work servers with Samba that was fixed in 10.5.3 and still works well in 10.5.4.

Im on 10.5.4 and i've checked all the network access at the Dlink side and still no hope. I can just merely read from the NAS but not write over to it with my mac. And sadly i dont have another windows laptop to try to connect. ):

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Samba doesn't let the Mac write to NTFS. Samba/CIFS is a Unix-side installation to allow Windows clients to read Unix shares. You need something like Paragon or MacFUSE to do that.

Connecting to my windows NTFS work shares via a smb:\[address] allows me to read and write to these shares. I believe you are correct that Mac can't write to NTFS locally, the samba connection does allow you connect, read, and write to NTFS network shares which I believe is what this thread is about.

Unfortunately, if you have the most recent version of mac os x, I don't know anything else to help you. Perhaps something in this thread could help you?

metamercurial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
I just called Dlink and they blatantly told me that the NAS is not supported on Mac (the model's DNS-313 btw). :/ Is is suppose to be the end then? But i read from some other reviews that it is compatible though

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I just called Dlink and they blatantly told me that the NAS is not supported on Mac (the model's DNS-313 btw). :/ Is is suppose to be the end then? But i read from some other reviews that it is compatible though

Let them babble on about what they don't support. No. Wait. Maybe they are telling the truth. There are some NAS drives out there that REQUIRE you run their proprietary software on windows to use the drive. If that is the case, get a refund and find a model that works without any need for software. If it's too late for a refund, there's always ebay. There are plenty of windows users out there looking for NAS.

metamercurial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
interesting...i realised that i can edit documents stored on the NAS and even save files to it BUT when it comes to moving/copying files over by drag-drop or even cmd-C, it shows the insufficient privileges thing O.O

Im really getting confused

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Could anyone enlighten me?

Unfortunatly I can't help you... I've got the same problem.

But the good news is: is a Leopard Bug! :)

Don't you think so?
Ok, then try to do this:

go in terminal and try to copy a file in your DNS 313 with the "cp" command...
yes, IT WORKS!

now, dowload a file manager: I tried with mucommander...

http://www.mucommander.com/

and try to copy or move a file into your DNS313...

YES, IT WORKS!!! :D

The problem is a bug in finder, I've already opened a bug using the bugreport of apple... I hope they will help us.

P.S. Don't try to upgrade the firmware of DNS, I am using the 1.2 and the problem still exists (I'm sure the bug is in finder).
P.P.S. Please, if you solve the problem, post the solution here... I will do the same ok? :)

Bye
Dave

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
BTW: I've been a Linux users for the last 10 years... and I've been using Leopard since August ... (I think this is the best OS in the world!!!) so I'm not so expert with Leopard...

my question is: where can I find the information about automount in Mac OS X?
I mean, in Linux I had a file named /etc/fstab that I could use to modify these information... the strange thing is that the DNS 313 is mounted on /Volumes/Volume_1 and if I look at the permission I have in terminal, I can see a 700 (drwx------) owned by me and my group.
Now, isn't it possibile that the bug in Finder is that it feel me like I am "another" user and it denies me the access? I would try to modify this permission in a 777 to try again, but I need to mount the volume in another way...

P.S. Yes, as you could understand, I was a Linux user, but I actually don't know samba so well... :D

All the best
Dave

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
No, I tried to umount and remount the device specifying the 777 permission and the DNS still isn't working with finder...

I'll sort it out... :D

BYe
Dave

metamercurial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Hi Dave,

Thanks a million for the advice! Mucommander worked just fine for me and im convinced now that it is a leopard bug which they unfortunately have not addressed in 10.5.5. But well, at least Mucommander's good for now.

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
You're welcome!

However my bugreport is still open... if Apple will answer I'll let you know what they will tell me.

Bye
Dave

dlredbaron

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Nas Permission And Leopard

I have some evidence it's Leopard. My NAS worked briefly on my Tiger computer. I can no longer save onto my NAS now that I am in Leopard. I get the insufficient privileges message but i have checked and rechecked and erased and rewritten every kind of permission and I still get that message. I updated to 10.5.5 hoping it would help -- the only change is that with 10.5.5 I have had six crashes today while using Final Cut.

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Update of the situation:
-----------------------

I've been contacted by Apple for my bugreport last night.
They asked me to log the finder operation while copying (with a command in the terminal) and to send them the results.

I did what they asked me to do.

It sounds like some engeneer is working for our problem my friends, so keep up! We'll sort this out! :D

BYe
Dave

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Last update:

Ok, 2 news:
the good one: I've solved this problem (with Apple's engeneers help)
the bad one: it's not so easy as you can think...

The problem is NOT the finder! The problem is the Samba Server on the device. And I apologize if I had any doubt about that (MAC RULES!) :D

In fact, the only difference from the cp command and the finder drag and drop operation is that if you use the finder, it try to set the SAMBA UNIX EXTENSIONS. Unfortunatly the Samba Server version on the DNS-313 is bugged and it doesn't manage so well this "UNIX EXTENSIONS".

<CIT>
FROM SAMBA.ORG:

These extensions enable Samba to better serve UNIX CIFS clients by supporting features such as symbolic links, hard links, etc... These extensions require a similarly enabled client, and are of no current use to Windows clients.

</CIT>

However: disabling this "UNIX EXTENSIONS" on the samba server provided by the dns-313 ... everything will be ok!

But the problem is ... how to disable these extensions?
Well it's not so easy if you are a "newby" in linux operating system. Otherwise, you will find this operation very simple...

How to do that:

1. Install the funplug 0.5 on your DNS-313 ( this is a "mod" that enable you to manage your DNS and install a lot of services like http server, ssh server and many other stuff). In our case, this is mandatory only because we want to gain a telnet access to the device...
2. Telnet the device. E.G.
# telnet 192.168.1.254
3. edit your /etc/samba/smb.conf
# vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
4. disable the extensions writing at the end of the "global section" the command
unix extensions = no
5. restart SAMBA
# /usr/bin/smb restart

ok, now everything works! But there's still a problem with the device... if you try to reboot it, it will loose the changes you've made!
There are no solutions to this problem... or better... there are only workarounds.
The one I used is this:
1. copy your modified smb.conf into the /ffp/etc directory with another name:
#cp /etc/smb.conf /ffp/etc/smb.conf.dav
2. create a script in /ffp/start/sambafix.sh like this

#!/ffp/bin/sh
# PROVIDE: SAMBAFIX
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# this only copy your new conf in the right place and restart samba
cp /ffp/etc/smb.conf.dav /etc/samba/smb.conf
/usr/bin/smb restart

3. Change the permission to your "just-edited" script, and set it as executable... (TNX to Cristophe)
# chmod 755 /ffp/start/sambafix.sh

4. restart and enjoy! :)

I hope I've helped someone.
I'm very sorry for my very bad english, but... I did my best... :D

That's all folks! :D
Dave

r39273

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Hello Tourniquet,

First, I'd like to thank you for sharing your experience. I am a Mac user with a DNS-313 too !!

I think I am still struggling with the last part of your message that deals with making the change automatic after power loss & reboot.

First, I would like to report to you a small typo which is that :
should be :
cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /ffp/etc/smb.conf.dav

Now, this being said, I have followed the instructions for creating the script sambafix.sh. I can see it (and did check that the content matches your proposed script) but it does not seem to execute at boot up since the smb.conf file is still unchanged.

When looking at ffp.log file generated on Volume_1, I can see:

Sat Nov 8 00:19:44 UTC 2008
ln -snf /mnt/HD_a4/ffp /ffp
* Running /ffp/etc/fun_plug.init ...
* Running /ffp/etc/rc ...
* /ffp/start/syslogd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/SERVERS.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/portmap.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/unfsd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/nfsd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/ntpd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/LOGIN.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/telnetd.sh ...
Starting /ffp/sbin/telnetd -l /ffp/bin/sh
* /ffp/start/sshd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/sambafix.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/rsyncd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/mediatomb.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/kickwebs.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/lighttpd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/inetd.sh inactive
* OK

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Regards,
r39273

ok, now everything works! But there's still a problem with the device... if you try to reboot it, it will loose the changes you've made!
There are no solutions to this problem... or better... there are only workarounds.
The one I used is this:
1. copy your modified smb.conf into the /ffp/etc directory with another name:
2. create a script in /ffp/start/sambafix.sh like this

#!/ffp/bin/sh
# PROVIDE: SAMBAFIX
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# this only copy your new conf in the right place and restart samba
cp /ffp/etc/smb.conf.dav /etc/samba/smb.conf
/usr/bin/smb restart

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Hello r39273,

I'm happy to know that someone has found useful the information I provide.
And thank you for the correct command for the backup of SAMBA configuration file.

Now, for your problem, I can only think that the problem is about the permissions of the script.
Have you changed the script to have it executable?
As I said some post ago, I've been a linux user for a long time, so I forgot to tell that the script should be executable... I think that there couldn't be any other cause for your issue...
So, to solve the issue, telnet the device and try to do a :

chmod 755 /ffp/start/sambafix.sh

USELESS NOTE:
if everything goes well, if you look at the /ffp/start/ with the command ls, you'll find that the sambafix.sh is colored in green. This means that the file is executable. So you can try to do a

ls -l /ffp/start

to look at the color of the sambafix.sh and to see the -rwxr-x-r-x permissione near the sambafix.sh.
END OF THE USELESS NOTE

I hope to have helped you, but I'm still here for any other information you'll need.
Let me know if you can solve this problem!

Bye
tourniquet

Hello Tourniquet,

First, I'd like to thank you for sharing your experience. I am a Mac user with a DNS-313 too !!

I think I am still struggling with the last part of your message that deals with making the change automatic after power loss & reboot.

First, I would like to report to you a small typo which is that :

should be :
cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /ffp/etc/smb.conf.dav

Now, this being said, I have followed the instructions for creating the script sambafix.sh. I can see it (and did check that the content matches your proposed script) but it does not seem to execute at boot up since the smb.conf file is still unchanged.

When looking at ffp.log file generated on Volume_1, I can see:

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Regards,
r39273

r39273

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Hi Tourniquet,

That's it ! chmod was the missing part of the equation :)
Reason for this ignorance is that I'm not familiar with Linux :D
Therefore, you can imagine how I struggled with VI editor !!! :eek:
I am lucky that :apple: makes it easy for people that do not want to write 2 kilometers long command lines ;)

Anyhow, thks a lot for your help and support.

Cheers
Christophe.

note: are you french ? Your pseudo makes me believe that you might be French :)

tourniquet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
No Christophe, I'm Itaian. :D
And I didn't know any single word in French. :eek:
However, I'm very happy to have helped you my friend.

All the best
Dave

P.S. After 10 years of Linux I can't editing a file without VI! :D

Hi Tourniquet,

That's it ! chmod was the missing part of the equation :)
Reason for this ignorance is that I'm not familiar with Linux :D
Therefore, you can imagine how I struggled with VI editor !!! :eek:
I am lucky that :apple: makes it easy for people that do not want to write 2 kilometers long command lines ;)

Anyhow, thks a lot for your help and support.

Cheers
Christophe.

note: are you french ? Your pseudo makes me believe that you might be French :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.