"Insufficient Storage" for Photos, 24GB free?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mavis, Sep 12, 2016.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Does anyone know how to get rid of the "Insufficient Storage" message that pops up when opening the photos app, the one that lets you enable photo optimization? I have a 256GB iPad Pro with 24GB free (and a 154GB photo library) ... I do NOT want to have 'optimized' photos on the device as I travel quite frequently and am often without data connection ... The whole reason I bought the 256GB model was to avoid having to optimize the storage - I want all photos and videos stored locally, and I have enough space, but I get that message daily. I'm afraid that one of these days I'm going to accidentally hit the wrong button, and then I'll have to start from scratch, re-downloading my entire library to the device. :(

So, does anyone know how to disable the prompt?

2. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

It's warning you for a reason. Your entire library probably hasn't copied over yet, and there's insufficient space for it to finish. iCloud Photo Library syncs in chunks, not all at one go.

Also, I hope you realize that, even with 'Optimize' turned on, you can view all your images, just not at full resolution. It only downloads the full version if you share, edit, or zoom in on the image.

3. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Actually, 154GB is the size of my entire library (I keep all originals on my iMac, and the size matches) ... To get them to load on my iPad (fully downloaded) I had to let it run a slideshow of all 22,000 images and videos, which took about three days. Doing so forced the iPad to download full-res versions of all pictures, along with full videos. I don't want optimized versions on my iPad - this is why I bought a 256GB model. I know how big my Photo Library is and purchased the correct model accordingly. What bugs me is that the entire library IS completely downloaded, with 24GB free on the iPad, and yet I still get that stupid message. I bought the 256GB iPad for a reason - mainly because I wanted my complete library available in full resolution, offline. I just need to figure out why it keeps telling me I don't have enough space when I clearly do!! :(
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    OK, I just double-checked. Looks like my Photo Library has ballooned in size since I last checked. heh

172.37GB : iMac Photo Library size (set to download all originals)
    154.75 : iPad Photo Library size (20GB missing??? That annoys me)
    31.6GB : Free space on iPad

So I should have enough space for the whole thing, no?

4. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Actually just checking "Download and keep originals" would have done the same thing. But you're really confusing matters if you have "Optimize" checked, but really don't want any optimized versions.

iCloud Photo Library gives you the image count in the "All Photos" album. Does that match the image count you are expecting?

Also, are you accounting for all videos?

5. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually when I bought the iPad I tried just checking the "Download and keep originals" but after a day or two I would pull up random pics and they would still have to load (download) when I viewed them - it doesn't seem to actually download anything in full until you actually view the image once. That's why I ran the slideshow - to force downloads.

Including all videos, the iPad actually shows about 300 add'l images but 30GB less storage. Very odd. About 99% are fully loaded, so that's close enough, I guess. :)

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

6. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

You might want to buy another 256Gb iPad Pro, given the size of your library. I think the jump to a 512gb iPad won't come for a few more years.