Insurance and case question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nachoconqueso, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

What's the best insurance available for the 4s? Any personal experiences with Square Trade? It looks like they've got good coverage for an excellent price. If I do end up ordering a 4s I want it to be totally protected. The phone is going to be put through some ordeals so battery or anything goes haywire...you know the rest. Also, who makes a beast case that actually protects the phone? Bulkiness doesn't matter. It'll be in the case when I'm skiing and climbing and out for everyday use.

2. mildbill Guest

Apple care is 99 bucks for 2 years and covers eveything but loss I think.

3. Nachoconqueso thread starter macrumors regular

AppleCare says it doesn't cover anything related to abuse, misuse, neglect, including extreme temperatures and humidity. It's really not even close to what I need and what's the deductible? ST covers everything for $99 with a $50 deductible and $0 on battery replacements and normal faults.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Ballistic and Otterbox both make excellent cases.

5. Nachoconqueso thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much. The Ballistic looks intense.

6. Sc00tr, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

Sc00tr macrumors regular

I have heard Square Trad. Apple Care is a Joke. I have the OtterBox Defender case. I don't have insurance because the case is so good. My phone has been through a lot and there is not a scratch on it.

EDIT: I just checked out the Ballistic site. That looks pretty cool. I think that it has just as much protection as OtterBox and it is about $10 cheaper.

7. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I'm getting a Personal Articles policy through State Farm (it's an addon to homeowner's insurance with a $0 deductable). For ~$2500 of insured stuff (camera, laptop, phone, etc) it's only $42 a year, and it covers accidental damage and loss/theft, I believe. That's an option if your insurance company offers it.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Be careful with Squaretrade. The plans look a lot alike on the surface. They both cost $99. Regular Applecare didn't used to include accidental damage coverage, but Applecare+ does. Both Applecare+ and Squaretrade cost $50 per claim for accidental damage. Applecare will cover 2 incidents of accidental damage, Squaretrade doesn't have a limit.

The big difference comes in here...this is from Squaretrade's website, sample service contract:
    "VALUE OF YOUR COVERAGE
    The total value of your Care Plan is in most cases equal to the purchase price of your item. For every valid claim filed against your item for which we provide repair services, the total value of your coverage is reduced by the cost of the repair services rendered. In the event a valid claim is filed with us and repair costs are estimated to exceed the current value of your Care Plan - the balance of your Care Plan value will be offered instead."

So, if you paid $199 for your phone, it appears they'll cover a total of $199 worth of damage to it. Then your Care Plan is null and void. Not such a great deal in the end.