Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
so i just got my first new vehicle, a ninja 250r and was wondering what would happen if i were to get pulled over mainly in terms of insurance. is there a grace period to get coverage or is this something i have to have inplace before i ride my bike?

i ask since i know temp tags give you about 2 months to get registered.

any insight would be appreciated

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
You have to be insured before you hit the road, no grace period, no excuses.

With no insurance, you could be arrested, and/or have the bike impounded.

ok thanks. i knew with no insurance you can get in troube obviosluy

i had just heard that there was a grace period and that for the first 30 days or so it was covered the same as the lowest coverage on any other vehicle you own.

is that not true?

JNB

macrumors 604
Also, temp tags ARE the registration; you're just waiting on the state to mail the plates & stickers. The dealer handled all that for you.

Insurance is one of those things you do NOT want to be without. Unless you or your family are wealthy, one bad move can screw you financially for life. A citation's the least of the concerns.

Just saw your previous post. Existing coverage is really a big guess if you're going from a cage to two wheels. My auto coverage is with USAA, but they don't cover bikes, so I went with GEICO; USAA wouldn't have covered me for anything on the bike if I didn't have specific coverage, unlike when I buy a new car. BTW, I love GEICO! They've lowered my premium twice in two years. I pay about $130 per year for full coverage.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
If you have coverage on another vehicle, it can cover you driving another car, like a rental. Not sure if it covers a new vehicle though. I go to texas, rent a care from Enterprise, my policy covers me completely. But when I had the truck, then bought the jeep, I had to switch it that day before I could drive it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Also, temp tags ARE the registration; you're just waiting on the state to mail the plates & stickers. The dealer handled all that for you.

Insurance is one of those things you do NOT want to be without. Unless you or your family are wealthy, one bad move can screw you financially for life. A citation's the least of the concerns.

Just saw your previous post. Existing coverage is really a big guess if you're going from a cage to two wheels. My auto coverage is with USAA, but they don't cover bikes, so I went with GEICO; USAA wouldn't have covered me for anything on the bike if I didn't have specific coverage, unlike when I buy a new car. BTW, I love GEICO! They've lowered my premium twice in two years. I pay about $130 per year for full coverage.

130 a year full coverage via Geico? how? I am getting a quote online and am getting like 300+ a year

I have never gotten a ticket or accident in my 7 years of driving and this is a small bike lol

whats your secret? lol

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
It should have NO effect on your credit score. Its based on your insurability, not whether you pay your bills on time. And your not trying to open a line of credit. Inquires to getting credit, that hurts your score. Not insurance.

ps. Your rate also takes into consideration, the deductibles for the policy. ie a $1000 deductible for collision, makes your monthly payment lower than say a $200 deductible.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
It should have NO effect on your credit score. Its based on your insurability, not whether you pay your bills on time. And your not trying to open a line of credit. Inquires to getting credit, that hurts your score. Not insurance.

ps. Your rate also takes into consideration, the deductibles for the policy. ie a $1000 deductible for collision, makes your monthly payment lower than say a $200 deductible.

thanks that makes sense

off question if i wanted to check my credit report is http://www.annualcreditreport.com a safe site?

thanks

edit: also saw you are from fayetteville. i used to live in peachtree city and have cousins that live in fayetteville. small world!

JNB

macrumors 604
130 a year full coverage via Geico? how? I am getting a quote online and am getting like 300+ a year

I have never gotten a ticket or accident in my 7 years of driving and this is a small bike lol

whats your secret? lol

Age, marital status, prior record, current licensing, bike displacement and brand/model accident & repair history, and MSF course completion are all factors. Just get old & married, and your rates will drop in no time!

And even though you can get quotes from as many folks as you want without affecting your credit score, your credit score can affect your insurance rates. A relatively new phenomenon (w/in the last few years).

drinkingmymilk

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
I'm amazed you brought it home with out insurance... Check progresive I just bought the same bike two weeks ago and its was $340 a year and I am only 20 with one speeding ticket.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
thanks that makes sense

off question if i wanted to check my credit report is http://www.annualcreditreport.com a safe site?

thanks

edit: also saw you are from fayetteville. i used to live in peachtree city and have cousins that live in fayetteville. small world!

Yes it is a safe site. All it is going to do is link you to one of the 3 major credit reporting systems. I tend to about every 4 months order a credit report from one of them. (that mains I hit all of them up over the course of a year)

As for insurance to be on the road at all it is required. When I bought my car the dealer would not even let the car off the lot until I had informations from the insurance agent.

choicearizona

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
Insuring a new car

If you have existing insurance with full coverage and you trade that vehicle for a new vehicle, most states give you up to 30 days to notify your current insurer about the new vehicle.

If you are not currently insured and buy a vehicle, you need insurance to drive it off the lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.