insurance company

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Feb 5, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is progressive a good option? any one have a bad experience with them?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Every time I see that annoying bit** in their TV ads.

No experience with them. Geico and AIG have always been my insurers and both were spectacular when a claim was filed. Neither raised my rates after a claim.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

They were my first insurance company, and after a few years I switched after I realized they were charging me almost 40% more than everybody else. Their service was excellent though when I needed them.

I used MetLife (group discount at work) and they had excellent service as well (for auto and home, both which I unfortunately had the luck to need).

I am currently with Farmer's, good price, and we really liked our agent. We switched to Farmer's to get a more "personal" experience, but the agent left them, so we are currently planning to start looking again.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

does it make sense when using their online quote tool that its costs more to have my car libility only than it is to have it comprehensive with 250 deductibles for comp and collision? both have same liability limits....

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I have had Allstate, Progressive, and American Family Insurance. The one I currently have is Gieco. I can tell you that Progressive is really expensive in our area. Allstate was ok and American Family Insurance was a rip-off! I'm so glad I switched to Gieco, I recommend it!

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Exactly. Even if they were the cheapest, I think I'd pay a little more with someone else out of spite. Watching that woman makes me want to kill myself.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I don't trust these online systems, give someone a call and tell them exactly what you want as coverage (using your current policy as a reference) and see what they offer you.

But that does sound odd.

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Progressive is a decent company. There are good and bad stories with them just as there are with every other company. They used to be primarily a non-standard company, meaning they only insured high-risk drivers, but over the last couple of years they've been changing their product tiers to get more standard business. In late 2008 their standard business finally overtook their non-standard business. So Progressive can provide great coverage at a decent price for the right person.

As far as the online quotes go, they're just a guideline. They will never be 100% accurate because they don't pull your motor vehicle report. Most can check your "insurance score" if you put in your social security number, but most people (understandably) don't feel comfortable putting in their social security number online.

Just make sure and don't let your insurance ever lapse! That's worse than getting a citation or accident!