insurance/coverage/warranty suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by holice229, Sep 5, 2013.

1. holice229 macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2013
    My Applecare is going to expire in a few months, is there any insurance/coverage anyone recommends for a Macbook pro? My laptop is in good shape, and it's just under three yrs old. I can't purchase Squaretrade since it's obviously been over 30 days since purchase. Any recommendations?

Much appreciated!
  2. jadAce macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2013
    Congratulations on having a 3 year old MacBook in good shape! (I see people carrying PowerBooks made before 2005, so this definitely reinforces the idea that Apple hardware is reliable).

I haven't heard of any laptop insurance/coverage for 3+ year old computers specifically, but if you live in the United States, I have heard homeowner's insurance can also apply to laptops. However, I believe that is more for accidental damage (such as MacBook falling, etc.).
  3. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2007

[SIZE="4"]I would suggest if there is some way to get an extension of Apple Care, if not you are on your own[/SIZE]
  4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    AppleCare cannot be extended.

Insurance will only cover up to the current value of a machine and then with a deductible, perhaps $ 200. And the insurance may be limited in what is covered. It might cover theft and damage, but not failure of HDD.