Insurance for iPhone in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cwedl, Oct 25, 2007.

1. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Hi Guys/Girls

Just wondering if anyone has thought of Mobile insurance for the iPhone in the UK when it comes out. Will O2 offer insurance, what recommendations would people make.

Thanks

2. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Haven't seen what o2 are going to offer in this dept. yet, but my experience with mobile-phone insurance from providers is not a happy one. Basically, they never paid out on any claim I've made (I've only ever claimed twice, was told over the phone that I was covered, only to receive a letter contradicting what I was told, and stating that I wasn't covered.

I'm going to go the route of adding it to my house insurance instead like I do with my laptop, as they have a better reputation, and the charge they'll add onto my premium will probably be cheaper than getting out a separate policy just for the iPhone.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Yeah, check your house insurance - they might cover it anyway without having to add it as a specified item.

4. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

5. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

So basically you spend £90 per year on their "Premier" insurance policy? - let's put this in perspective - my contents insurance for home is £120 per year, and that covers all my worldly possessions at home, as well as my laptop, bicycle, and mobile when away from home, including abroad for 20 days per year.

Well, I know which one I'm sticking with.:rolleyes:

6. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I'll be using my home insurance too, but some insurers don't cover mobiles on their policies.

7. ibanana macrumors 6502

can u pm me the namee of yr insurance as i'm interested ?
    cheers

8. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Actually, yeah, me too please. It seems like a better dealings than my current dealings!

9. dodonutter macrumors regular

I have my D900 covered under my student possessions insurance and it only adds £5 a year so i'm just gonna switch that over to my iPhone. So basically i'm putting it on my house insurance.

No way am i going through O2, think they add £5 per month onto the contract which is ludicrous.

Beware though. a friend of mine turned down insurance from his network and went to the bank and got it covered under a special policy there for a fraction of the price but got mugged 10 days later (by a guy with a crow bar!) and when he claimed they wouldn't pay out as the small print stated they wouldn't cover him for 14 days after he bought the policy so he was screwed.

Sucks really. I'm going to go and read my insurance fine print very carefully.

10. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

just phoned up my insurance company, from 9th nov to next may it's £16 then it will be £21 a year after that.
    not bad!!!!!!!!

11. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

just added it to my home insurance. didn't cost any extra.

12. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping to get my iPhone added to the house insurance. I have had a previous phone insured with the network provider, however, when i needed to claim for a stolen mobile, they refused to pay out and showed me all the small print. I now know to avoid direct network insurance.