Insurance For Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenobebe, Sep 6, 2011.

1. kenobebe macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Just purchased a Mac Book Pro a few months back for purposes of being able to do high end graphic work while still being mobile. I absolutely love this computer; so much so that I'd be crestfallen (and out $2k) if it were to break, get stolen, etc. I'm contemplating Apple Care for it because it did cover damage on my old iMac, however, I'd like to get more coverage than just fixing a technical issue, being that this device is more mobile. I plan on taking it out of the country on working vacations and wouldn't want to be stuck with no computer if I bring it to S. America and someone jacks it.

Does anyone know of or currently have insurance on their Mac Book pro that they can recommend for my case (or a better solution to my issue)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. mahyarv14 macrumors newbie

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

specify your locale

for us I suggest the Statefarm Personal Articles policy.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If you rent, get renter's insurance. It's around $100/yr for a $10,000 policy (~$20 more for $20k) and covers loss or damage to all your personal items where ever they are. You can get a low deductible like $100 or $0 as well.

You can also get a Squaretrade warranty instead of Applecare. It covers accidental damage (e.g. drop and spills) as well.

5. Vook macrumors member

Vook

Most renters policies dont cover accidental breakage or wear and tear. I recommend a personal articles policy, thats what I have on mine, and I pay $40 a year.

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

...hence the Squaretrade addition. I've found that most personal articles policies don't cover general wear and tear either, and often only cover for the depreciated value if you don't specify otherwise. A personal insurance policy can be good, but you have to know what you're getting and the limitations.

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

get renters / homeowners insurance or applecare.

8. Xypheric macrumors newbie

Created my account finally to post my experience. I have to purchase a macbook this fall for my upcoming classes. I also was curious about insurance, although ive never broken anything of mine.

So i called my state farm agent here in Ohio, explained my situation and said she actually has written a couple of these policies recently.

The exact price for myself was $66 dollars a year for my $3,000 of coverage. She said it is usually a standard price of about $22 per $1,000.

As per the advice in a previous forum thread i had read, I verified with my agent that this covers EVERYTHING. Theft, Water Damage, Accidental Drop, etc. She confirmed that it would cover everything.

I asked what my deductible would be, and she laughed and said the policy has no deductible. Although i imagine its only good for 1 claim with no deductible and that low of a price. If an incident were to happen I imagine they might hike the price or deductible.

Anyways I just wanted to post my specific experience in this.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

People on photography forums say that their deductible shot up to around $1000 on subsequent claims (for similar gear; macbook pro etc).

10. Vook macrumors member

Vook

My policy covers my Mac for Replacement Cost not ACV (actual cash value or depreciated value)

11. kenobebe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied to this thread. I now have some info to go off of!!

Cheers-

12. pingfan59 macrumors member

So would one get applecare and the personal articles insurance from state farm? Reason being if say an internal part becomes defective, would the insurance take care of it or is this where AppleCare would become beneficial?

13. Xypheric macrumors newbie

Insurance may cover a defective part, im not exactly sure. But do you really want to cash in on it, and have your deductible jump up for a part that could be easily replaced under an extended warranty!