Insurance for unlocked iphone in UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nowaycomputer, Nov 28, 2007.

1. nowaycomputer macrumors newbie

Probably a ridiculous question, but has anyone inquired about insurance for an unlocked (DIY) iphone?

Obviously insurance through your carrier is a no-no (if its o2, they'll realise you don't have the right contract, if its another carrier, they know you didn't get the handset from them)

Home insurance - I don't know if they would cover it given that its been 'tampered with'.

Would a third party insure a phone which has been sim-unlocked?

Anyone have any ideas?

2. alFR macrumors 68020

I'd go with your home insurance and not mention it being unlocked - unlocking is really only a problem with getting warranty service from Apple IMHO. After all, you aren't going to tell them that you've put linux on the PC you bought with XP, are you?

3. nowaycomputer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, more or less what I though, with the caveat: if they are to replace the iphone... do they get it from o2/apple? Will apple give them a phone if there's no contract?

4. iPhoneinsurance macrumors newbie

Since there's no authority and a lack of clear information oniPhone insurance, does anyone want to start up a portal on the subject? I've got iPhoneinsurance.org, .net, and .info. Open to any ideas.