Insurance for your gear?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ghostchild, Mar 10, 2011.

1. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Hey guys, so long story short I found out that my parent's property insurance doesn't cover my dslr gear and computing gear. Where would you recommend me go to get insurance for all my gear for myself? I'm looking around for hassle-free options now. Preferably online.

Thanks,
    John

2. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Do you still live at home with your parents, or are you away at school? If you rent an apartment you should be able to buy renters insurance and purchase additional coverage for your gear. I did this while I was away at school and renting an apartment. It was only a few extra bucks a month for the extra coverage. If you still live with your parents they can buy additional coverage on their property insurance.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I have every single piece of camera gear, individually at retail value, covered under my USAA Renters insurance. Even with all the gear I have, it is only about $13 a month for Renters + Gear.

4. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Yes, I still live with my parents. Does renters insurance cover say for example if my gear gets stolen while I'm on vacation too?

5. flyfish29, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

best advice- talk to an insurance agent who knows the details of their plans and what is avail. No one on here can speak accurately as all plans as they all work different for diff companies.

I would start with your parents agent.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

7. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Thanks guys, I live in the USA. California to be specific. The reason why I wanted separate insurance is cause my parents homeowners insurance doesn't cover anything at home that is not purchased in their name. :(

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ask your parents to talk to their homeowners insurance agent about a "Valuable Personal Property Policy"

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I am very surprised that your parents policy does not cover yours- if you are family and living there it should, but again every policy is different. So you might see if it is cheaper to just add your stuff to their policy if their company allows it.

10. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I generally advise people to avoid having their camera gear on a homeowner's rider anyway- the last thing you want is the HO insurance canceled because of a claim. Talk to any licensed insurance agent- Traveller's has a nice "personal professional property" policy, or just ask about an "inland marine" policy for your gear.

Paul

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Great advice!

12. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

My insurance guy told me the single most common reason claims like these get denied is not having commercial coverage for commerce related claims.

IOW, if your gear gets stolen doing a wedding shoot and you have stock homeowners' coverage, don't count on them cutting you a check.