Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Hmm my insurance company is destined to give me a lot of work ! They want me to make an inventory with photos and receipts (as available) of items in a collection so that I can print out reports for each renewal period.

Any software out there (I did not find any so far) which would do that. Ideally something I could categorise and export as needed and update. I had thought about dragging and dropping into word but that would be too big a file, and not really flexible enough.

I really don't want to have to print each item out and manually calculate it up, especially if I have to resubmit the report yearly.

When I used a PC I vaguely remember seeing things like this. But I don't run VPC so that is not an option either.

Any help or suggestions appreciated..

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Quicken for Mac comes with an app for this purpose. You can create a categorized inventory of your possessions, but I'm not sure whether it will let you attach images.

EDIT: Never mind... Quicken 2004 has an emergency records organizer, not an inventory builder. Sorry.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
http://www.inventorysolutionsonline.net has a $30 program for home inventory. It will let you add pictures. There must be others (google search.)

I think I've seen inventory progams for the Palm OS but didn't find any for OS X on Versiontracker.

Some financial programs have the capability to record personal belongings.

If you are all all handy with database programs you could make your own.

With a digital camera you could do all the photos and make an album in iPhoto with annotations of value.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Apple works has a format already made up for inventory...at least they did a couple of years ago, assume they still have it on the latest build. It is pretty nice, has things already written in for you to inventory your house...divides up by bedroom, kitchen, etc. and calculates the replacement cost, tracks purchase year (if necessary) etc.

The best way to inventory easily is to take a video of everything in your house...open closets, storage bins, etc. Talk about names of stuff, model numbers etc. on the video to help. This is also nice as there are so many little things you never think to inventory in written form, but would want to replace in case of a fire.

good luck

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Hi.. I had tried Google before and got a big fat zero with the syntax given.. And sadly I cannot program for toffee! So far I have videoed stuff but I need a more phyiscal updateable record for the insurance o.

I had tried Versiontracker too and Macupdate..

Argghth!!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
With exception of the Photos, why not just use Excel?

Spreadsheets are very flexible, you can sort, report, and do all kinds of crap. Also pretty compatible file format.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
There is a lot to catalogue. I had started to mess with Excel and planned to drop in pictures but the size and risk of it going bang (I can make very basic spreadsheets but..) and there is A LOT to inventorise (esp. collections). I thought of Iphoto also but then there is the same problems!

I had hoped to avoid using the PC sitting in the corner too Ö(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.