Insurance options for Macbook Pro w/ Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by plexusnexus, Jun 26, 2012.

1. plexusnexus macrumors newbie

Hello, I just purchased my first Mac and I am worried that my $2,400 investment may get damaged or stolen. I currently work at a computer service center at my university that is Apple-certified and, unfortunately, I see a lot of students come in with, most often, water-damaged Macbooks. We have to tell that that Apple's send in price is $800 for the 13" and higher for the larger models. While some of these students were careless with their systems (e.g., spilling beer on it), others had their computers damaged by roommates or people that were not themselves who, for whatever reason, refused to pay for the send-in repair.

I can't even imagine what the rMBP accidental damage will be (probably around $1,600??). In all likelihood I wouldn't be able to afford it. I will be careful with my system, but I plan on DJing/producing with Ableton on the system, and that means if I ever want to perform live, I will increase my changes of damaging it or getting it stolen. Further, I bike to and fro school/work everyday, and I don't want to risk falling/getting run over and damaging my Macbook (or my body).

I know a lot of people recommend home owners insurance, but unless they cover theft/accidental damage that occurs out of the home, it is generally pointless for me. There is a virtual zero chance that someone could break into my apartment. My apartment is apart of a fourplex that is situated on top of two restaurants. All of the windows have bars covering them, and there is one security door that requires a key to get into the actual fourplex area, where you need an additional key to get into my apartment. People are generally entirely unaware that there are apartments up here. Basically, I don't have to worry about theft in my apartment at all, which is nice.

So I think it would be better if I could get an individual insurance plan on the rMBP that would cover any damage that could happen to it, or the possibility of it being stolen, in, or outside, of my apartment.

Of course, I am going to buy AppleCare on the system. But, like you all know, this doesn't cover accidental damage or theft.

I will also probably install some anti-theft software on the system. I've heard of one that takes a picture of whoever moves your Macbook when you're not around and tracks their location on Google Maps. I'm sure there is a lot of good software like that out there, but if the person is computer savy, they will immediately wipe the hard drive. I could install a tracking device inside of the system too I guess.

Either way, I think it would be better if I could cover theft and accidental damage by one plan so I don't have to worry about it so much. TBH, this is a piece of technology, i.e. a product, and I don't really want to be thinking about it being damaged or stolen all the time (that's a lot of wasted cognitive energy). So I guess I'm spending time thinking about all this now before my rMBP arrives in three weeks.

Does any one have any advice on what to do? I prefer not to pay $500+ for a plan.

Thanks for any help, sorry for the wall of text... :apple:

2. markp99 macrumors member

I went with a home owners policy rider. Theft, Loss, Damage are covered with no deductible & full replacement cost. Our policy covers losses inside or outside the house, including abroad!

I explicitly asked as my son is travelling in Europe right now for a couple months, using Hostels for some of his stays. He is concerned about loss/theft. I insured his camera equipment, and uMBP.

$5K of camera equipment, as well as uMBP (2yrs old) , rMBP (new), MBA (new) costs me ~$80/year. Cheap!

At that price, I just jumped on the bandwagon for my wife's and my computer!

3. HighEndMac macrumors regular

What carrier do you have?

4. markp99 macrumors member

Liberty Mutual. My wife just called to confirm there is a $50 deductible on the computers, but $0 on the camera equipment.

Replacement is for full value, assumes comparable equipment. So, no swapping the MBP with a Cray Supercomputer. :) $2300 = $2300 config...

5. plexusnexus thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, I'll check this out. Thanks.

6. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I also am wondering the same thing, I'm purchasing the top of the line rMBP ($4,028 after tax) and this would be my first laptop I cannot afford to replace if something happened, I NEED to get it insured because I will be using it in a high school enviroment. My parents are on Allstate, but they only pay for the used value and I think only in my house, I need something to cover it completely, any reccomended carriers to do it separately?

Before anyone askes why a high schooler needs a $4000 laptop, I've saved up 3 years for it, code applications in C++ and heavily edit and render videos, the rMBP has the power I need, plus it's thin and light enough to bring with me for school (have a writing disorder)

7. HighEndMac macrumors regular

Same

I'm older but also got the $4K+ rMBP and need the same coverage. Whats everyone got?

8. bryne macrumors member

bryne

Allstate may offer a rider on your parents' homeowner's insurance that will insure your laptop against damage, outside of the home, for a flat fee per year, with or without a small deductible. Other insurance carriers do something similar and you'll have to ask for a quote to get more details.

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

And if you still want to install a tracking software on the computer, try out Prey. It's a pretty great free alternative to the paid Orbicule Undercover software.

10. Storrow macrumors regular

HO policy is a good option but I would never make a claim on it unless I absolutely have to. I work in the insurance industry and the rate increases can be high.

11. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I talked with my parents advisor about getting it covered, it would be covered, but it would be deprecated value, so if my laptop gets stolen in 3 years, they only pay for whatever it is worth then, other plans will pay for the full amount, I just need to find one