Insurance Question

mreocc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I was going to sign up for the Asurion insurance plan which is 11.99/month with a $200 deductable. However, I just found out that Apple repairs out-of-warranty iphones for $199. WHy would anyone pay 11.99/month when they can get their phone fixed by apple for the same price w/o a monthly fee.

Am I missing something?

iWeldonJ

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I was going to sign up for the Asurion insurance plan which is 11.99/month with a $200 deductable. However, I just found out that Apple repairs out-of-warranty iphones for $199. WHy would anyone pay 11.99/month when they can get their phone fixed by apple for the same price w/o a monthly fee.

Am I missing something?
I'm not worried about the warranty coverage. I'm worried if I lose it, it gets stolen or i drop it accidentally.

djransom

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I'm not worried about the warranty coverage. I'm worried if I lose it, it gets stolen or i drop it accidentally.
If you drop it the price is still $199 to replace it. The only thing Assurion would be useful for is theft or lost. I just called them and cancelled my coverage yesterday. Couldn't continue to give them $12 a month when I've been blessed to never lost or had a phone stolen. That money could be placed towards something more useful.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Square Trade. They cover the cost of the phone. Also can insure against any kind of user damage, most claims settled within 5 days. AppleCare is a ripoff.

iWeldonJ

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
If you drop it the price is still $199 to replace it. The only thing Assurion would be useful for is theft or lost. I just called them and cancelled my coverage yesterday. Couldn't continue to give them $12 a month when I've been blessed to never lost or had a phone stolen. That money could be placed towards something more useful.
So if it gets lost or stolen are you going to pay $770? which is the cost of the 32 Gig with taxes.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Square Trade. They cover the cost of the phone. Also can insure against any kind of user damage, most claims settled within 5 days. AppleCare is a ripoff.
Yes but square trade is still $99 plus a $50 deductible. I rather pay the extra 50 dollars, walk into the Apple store and leave with a replacement in 10 minutes. You don't even need Applecare for an out of warranty replacement.

mreocc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
So basically the only differerence is that asurion offers coverage on loss/theft, which apple does not. If i were to drop my phone and the screen shatters does apple replace it for $200?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
So basically the only differerence is that asurion offers coverage on loss/theft, which apple does not. If i were to drop my phone and the screen shatters does apple replace it for $200?
That's the going rate. Sometimes for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.