Insurance Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mreocc, Jul 27, 2010.

1. mreocc macrumors newbie

I was going to sign up for the Asurion insurance plan which is 11.99/month with a $200 deductable. However, I just found out that Apple repairs out-of-warranty iphones for $199. WHy would anyone pay 11.99/month when they can get their phone fixed by apple for the same price w/o a monthly fee.

Am I missing something?

2. iWeldonJ macrumors member

I'm not worried about the warranty coverage. I'm worried if I lose it, it gets stolen or i drop it accidentally.

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If you drop it the price is still $199 to replace it. The only thing Assurion would be useful for is theft or lost. I just called them and cancelled my coverage yesterday. Couldn't continue to give them $12 a month when I've been blessed to never lost or had a phone stolen. That money could be placed towards something more useful.

4. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Square Trade. They cover the cost of the phone. Also can insure against any kind of user damage, most claims settled within 5 days. AppleCare is a ripoff.

5. iWeldonJ macrumors member

So if it gets lost or stolen are you going to pay $770? which is the cost of the 32 Gig with taxes.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yes but square trade is still $99 plus a $50 deductible. I rather pay the extra 50 dollars, walk into the Apple store and leave with a replacement in 10 minutes. You don't even need Applecare for an out of warranty replacement.

7. mreocc thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically the only differerence is that asurion offers coverage on loss/theft, which apple does not. If i were to drop my phone and the screen shatters does apple replace it for $200?

8. dagored macrumors 65816

That's the going rate. Sometimes for free.