Insurance, repair or what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daryliow, May 4, 2008.

1. daryliow macrumors regular

Ok,

I dropped my iphone a couple of weeks ago. It made a loud noise but made no physical damage to it (thankfully)!!!

So the iphone has been working fine for the last few weeks, but whilst in a call yesterday afternoon i was unable to hear the other person speaking to me. Now the earpiece has stopped working, i have done a reset/restore/checked its not o mute and turned the volume up.

Why would this just start happening?

I do have insurance but i don't think my drop broke it and don't really wanna pay the excess?

What would you guys do? I do have an apple shop near? Would they help?

Cheers

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, bring it in and they should swap it for you.

3. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Do i need to take the box/ receipt/ anything else with me apart from the iphone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, as long as its activated thru AT&T and not an unlocked iPhone you're good to go. They'll ask you for your cellphone number and name.

5. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is all legit! and registered through o2! :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Might want to try the "insert and remove headphones" trick a couple times first. There's a small sensor that detects when the headphones are plugged in that is extremely sensitive, and has been a problem for a few people. A small piece of pocket lint inside the jack is enough to throw it off. Might save yourself a trip.

8. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but it didnt work. I hope they give me a replacement.....

9. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

I just called apple care. they said that if i take my iphone into the store they will just send it off for repair which means i'd have no phone for 14 days, rather than them just give me a new replacement iphone there and then.

They also said they only give a new handset if it is under 14 days since purchase.

Has anyone taken an iphone in for repair after 14 days of purchase.

If so, what happened?

Thanks

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

11. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

No cos its being done on the warranty. But i cant be without a phone for 14 days. plus other people have said that they just got a straight replacement.

thats why i wanna know what happened with other people in my situation??

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Well you should be lucky your getting it replaced (or fixed) for free. I'm sure you can just take the SIM out and borrow a friends old phone or if you have an old phone too. That would work.

13. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

why is that lucky? it is not my fault the phone has stopped working. Plus your not allowed to take the sim out. cos its locked in.

Has anyone had to take theres into an apple store when it broke? What happened?

cheers

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No its not. Just take a paper clip push it in the whole. That's what they will do, they wont take the SIM card with them.

15. BlakeHadley macrumors newbie

how do you get the back off to take out the sim?

16. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

DONT TAKE THE BACK OFF!!

the SIM is in the tray on the top of the phone. There is a little slot with a small hole. you use a paper clip in the hole and push gently and the tray will pop out

17. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Why has this thread gone off track so much.

All i want to know is how people have got on when taking there iphone into an apple store for repair?

Thanks

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

By putting there SIM card into an older phone. Otherwise your stuck without a phone. If you don't have an older AT&T or Cingular phone, ask a friend.

19. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Dairyliow...You should not be without a phone for 14 days. When you get to the store have them check it out first before sending it in. If it requires repair, then request a loaner phone.

If they refuse to give you a loaner phone, then leave the store, call up applecare and start a trouble ticket. They will send you a loaner phone and you mail back your phone after you pull and transfer the sim card. It is postage free and I had mine actually replaced in less then five days after they couldn't fix it. This was week 2 after iDay.

You shouldnt have a problem. I would also recommend that you get a can of compressed air...keep the can UPRIGHT and blow out the head phone jack with a quick squirt. Then rapidly and repeatedly insert and remove the headphones until your sound returns. I know you tried but sometimes it takes more attempts then a few.

Hope this helps...Good Luck

20. BlakeHadley macrumors newbie

Thanks i got it figured out!!

21. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Firstly can i just say thank you for actually giving me advice i can use. :)

Can you please explain what this 'trouble ticket' is and how i do this. By the way i live in the UK is that makes any difference.

The thing that annoys me the most is that they expect me to be with out a phone for 14 days, but ill still be paying for a contract i cant use.

Really appreciate your help.