Insurance Replaced iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gstevie, Nov 20, 2014.

1. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

I accidentally put my iPhone 6 in the washing machine - was still in my jeans pocket when I took them off and threw in machine. I am covered with my bank Nationwide insurance and they are sending a replacement out for Saturday, my question here is; do I need to inform Apple about the replacement? In the terms of my insurance it says that the replacement will most likely be a refurbished handset and I just need to accept that, but in the terms it also says it comes with a 12 month manufactures warranty.

What normally happens in these situations? I have never had to claim insurance for an iPhone before and want to make sure I keep the new handset covered as much as I can. I am also considering AppleCare+, can I purchase this on a replaced handset? The insurance I have whilst it covered it, would have preferred the convenience of walking into an Apple store and getting a replacement there and then.

Thanks.

2. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

There are no refurbished iPhones at the moment, that's a standard disclaimer used. It'll be a brand new retail box paid for by your bank insurance.

Did you have to send them your old device?

3. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

Great thanks for the info.

Yeah I had to send it to them on Monday. In fairness they have been relatively quick dealing with it. Happened Sunday night, filled out the form online that night, sent the phone away Monday AM and then they called today to say it the replacement was being sent out and it will arrive within 2 days. £50 excess is small price to pay to replace a 2 month old iPhone.