Insurance UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jefflemon, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jefflemon macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was thinking about getting insurance for the iphone 3g, where is the best place to get it from?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My Marks & Spencer home insurance covers mobile phones.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If you buy through CPW they will try harder selling you insurance than a phone. :p

But O2 also has insurance available.
    Now that they are subsidised they will probably be covered by the existing O2 Insurance offers.

4. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

i was wondering this too. O2 had information about insurance for the old iphone. Can't find anything about the iPhone 3G. I don't believe it is covered by their normal insurance, and you have to get an iPhone specific policy.

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I've never got insurance for a mobile before but now I'm thinking about it. I'll ask O2 what they have when I go to the store to enquire this afternoon.

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Nah they cover it on their normal premium policy. It's £7.50 a month extra on top of your bill.

Might seem a bit steep, but when I dropped my phone a few weeks ago they sent a brand new one out that arrived the very next day (despite me not phoning up until around 4pm) to my work address - it was a fully brand new and boxed one, and they only took my iPhone and USB cable back.

Great service - there's a £25 excess though. Worth it my view for piece of mind.

7. page3 macrumors 6502

8. ToonDoom macrumors member

7.50 per month to insure something worth approx 500 quid.
    25.00 per month to insure building and contents worth in excess of 200,000 quid including the phone.

Yes it seems steep.

9. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Does home insurance cover more than one mobile? And definitely iPhones?

10. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

But wouldn't Home insurance have a big excess on it, and wouldn't they take ages to send you a new phone as opposed to getting it with the network, mine is with o2.

11. ToonDoom macrumors member

My excess is 50 quid for up to 1500 worth of personal items out side of the home. So if a theif came along he would probably steal my camera and watch at the same time ;) I can't comment on the length of time it would take to replace but very much doubt it would be next day.

12. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I've had the O2 insurance since I got the first iPhone on launch day. I think its worth it considering the cost of a new handset.

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of places doing mobie phone insurance for less than O2.. personally I'd shop around.

14. page3 macrumors 6502

Certainly First Direct insurance does. You'll need to ask your specific insurance company though.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My insurance covers anything in my possesion, as long no single item is worth more than £4000.

The iPhone is just another phone. Why should it have special treatment?

16. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Because it's a special phone :D

17. badgerman macrumors 6502a

well it is in a way as how do you get a replacement as cant get it without contracr (yet). My home insurance will cover phones up to a grand but not contracts at all. Hence how can anyone other than O2 do insurance for us?

18. tucker101uk macrumors member

I have mobile insurance via my Bank Account... :-S

If I claim say in 3 months though, will they be able to replace my iPhone? Will the original iPhone still be available?

19. badgerman macrumors 6502a

If its old for new, you will get a shiny 3g iphone.

20. badgerman macrumors 6502a

also can you get premier o2 insurance for £7pcm after you have started your contract?

21. Hullabaloon macrumors newbie

I was wondering about this..

I'm currently with T-Mobile (until I tell them where to stick it on Friday) and the one thing that's been alright with them, is the insurance.

Every time I've had a problem with a phone (and there's been many times), they've picked it up and given me a new one the next day.. I am a business user though, so maybe they go out of their way to help me out?

So how does the o2 insurance compare in any of your experiences?

Cheers everyone!

22. badgerman macrumors 6502a

I know this will get burried in the "I have/have not ordered online today" & "O2 are a bunch of ..." threads, but just called CUSC insurance as recommended by Martins Money tips;

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance

It £49.99 for 12 months £50 XS and cover accidental loss/damage etc.

Think will go for that on Friday, still not sure where they would get one or expect me to get one if it got stollen/lost on Friday night. :eek:

23. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Thanks for this badgerman. I am going to go with these guys as well. Notice that they cover water damage, which O2 do not so its worth it and it's cheaper.