Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cloud9, Jul 15, 2006.

  1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

    Aug 10, 2005
    between flesh and thought
    I've seen things here and there about insurance for expensive electronic equipment. I just bought a 20d and $400 dollar tamron lense and I want to be able to use my equipment uninhibited. Does anyone know much about whats available for insurance on this type of equipment. I am not a homeowner if that matters.

    Any info would be great.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    You should have renter's insurance to cover your belongings, and it should be covered under that. You'd have to check the terms of your policy, as you may have to declare particularly valuable equipment, which might affect your premium.
  3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Here in Virginia we need a separate rider to cover things like cameras.
  4. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

    Oct 29, 2004
    Recommend you call your carrier. There are oftentimes carve-outs for specific items (jewlery and camera equip in particular).

    Some base amount of coverage may exist, but if you have a significant amount of certain categories of items, you will likely need a separate rider. You may have to demonstrate ownership (to obtain the rider) via receipts or appraisals (esp true in the case of jewlery).

    Also, I have heard stories whereby certain insurance carriers have given photographers a hard time after equip has been stolen...suggest you check-out some photography-focused boards to get opinions re: such coverage and their experience.

    Good luck,

Share This Page