Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
So besides home owners insurance, what other insurance can i get for the phone? I found insurance at gadget guard which is very cheap only 119 bucks for two years and deductibles of 50 bucks. But are they any other?

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
You can try your traditional insurance carrier...the one you use for auto or homeowners insurance.

I don't know about others but State Farm has a Person Item policy you can get that will cover certain kinds of personal property of high value...including the iPhone...I confirmed that with them earlier today. State Farm's policy is like a minimum of $30 per year (depends on how much needs to be insured) with no deductable. It covers pretty much anything that can happen...theft, damage (including accidental damage...the example my agent gave was dropping the phone in some water and having it not work afterward), vandalism...etc. I'll be arranging a policy for mine on Monday. They might have cerain minimums you have to meet regarding what the cost of the replacement is...they might not insure it if the replacement cost is too low. I think State Farm's cutoff is $400.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
So besides home owners insurance, what other insurance can i get for the phone? I found insurance at gadget guard which is very cheap only 119 bucks for two years and deductibles of 50 bucks. But are they any other?

I just signed up at Squaretrade.com. It cost $122.49 for 3 years including accidental damage.

It's also prorated when you cancel it, so basically it's $3.40/month with a $50 deductible. Be careful to make sure you post the ACTUAL RETAIL VALUE OF YOUR DEVICE THOUGH. I'm seeing a lot of posts from forum members that makes me fear they're going to get screwed. The retail value of an 8GB is $599 and a 16GB is $699.

Accidental damage is only covered through them after the first 30 days from the original purchase and loss/theft is not covered as you have to return the device to them. When placing your purchase be sure to get both the warranty and the Accidental Damage Handling, then use promo code summer08 to get 30% off, totaling $122.49.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
I need lost/theft also because I got robbed the last time for my cellphone.

Yeah I'd definitely go for a traditional insurance carrier. They are usually willing to cover more than just damage and repairs....as they are prepared to fight against fraud that comes with replacing lost or stolen equipment. Companies like Square Trade don't do that.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Here's the State Farm thread I was posting in earlier today:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/525578/

misery94 posted this:
I used to have this policy and I would highly recommend it. It is relatively inexpensive and there is no deductable. I had it on a Cingular 8125 and, when I lost it, they gave me the option to have them replace it, or get the cash payout and buy myself. The only thing I would caution you on is that, if you take the payout, you can no longer insure phones through the policy. I didn't realize this until after. If you let them repair or replace, then I believe you get to keep insuring. You can also use the policy to cover musical instruments, cameras and computers. They do not cover TVs or AV equipment, however.

But like I said...I'm sure most of the other traditional insurance carriers have similar insurance policies...so if you don't already have insurance with someone check around with all the major carriers and see who has the best deal.

My dad thinks it's silly to insure the iPhone...but then again...what happened with his last phone would have been covered by insurance (the charging socket was damaged...making it impossible to charge)...and he would have been able to get his replacement phone under the policy. He ended up having to pay the full amount for the first iphone out of his pocket since the original phone wasn't under warranty. He also makes more than 100k per year...so it's rather easy for him to be able to afford to replace a phone if something happens to it.

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
YEAAA! okay so I am going to contact state farm, i thought it was when a person have insurance on their house or something they can add it. But not just to insurance a phone alone so I am going to state farm right after my df comes in.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
YEAAA! okay so I am going to contact state farm, i thought it was when a person have insurance on their house or something they can add it. But not just to insurance a phone alone so I am going to state farm right after my df comes in.

Well like I said...my current carrier for my truck is state farm...it only makes sense for me to go with them for this since their prices seem reasonable compared to other options (*cough*Square Trade*cough*) and I have another policy with them already. If you don't already have insurance with them then check around first...perhaps you'll find a better deal.

Homeowners policies and rental policies will cover stuff within the home they are covering...the problem with phones of course is...chances are what ever might happen will happen outside of the home...so it wouldn't be covered...which is why you need to add on a separate policy to cover this kind of stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.