Insurers offering me replacement for my mid 2012 (July) MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shaunyac, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Hi, after an accident with my MacBook and the trackpad and keys melting I sent it off to my insurers, they told me they can't repair it so will replace it for a brand new one. The model they've offered me is me294b/a.

I told them that when I bought my MacBook I paid extra to upgrade the RAM to 16gb and keep the ssd at 256gb. I think because it was a custom order they've had to replace it like for like or better and because they can't get the custom orders 2.3/16/256 they've offered me a 2.3/16/512. The model they offered me is a late 2013 if I'm right??

The question I want to ask, apart from the obvious ssd upgrade, are there any other differences between my old 2012 macbook and the new one they'll be sending me??

Thanks for bearing with me, I'm stuck on my mobile and this post may not be edited perfectly! :)

2. kathyricks macrumors 6502

3. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I would´t complain, but feel extremely lucky:)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

6. Shaunyac thread starter macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Thanks guys, I've accepted the macbook and it will be will be with me by 2pm, exceptional service, only had my old one collected last Wednesday!

I'm happy it's better, can anyone elaborate on the differences technically like the processor, gfx card differences?? Thanks :)

also I remember there was problems with the screens, I had mine replaced from an LG to Samsung under warranty, is this still an issue or has it been resolved??

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Just make sure it is the high end model with the discrete GPU, and not an upgraded base model without it. Most likely it will be the former, since you mentioned they couldn't do custom orders.

8. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

How, pray tell, did the trackpad and keys melt?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're getting a better computer, so I'd be pretty ecstatic

Please expound on the accident, I'm curious to know how the keys/trackpad melted.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

11. Shaunyac thread starter macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Sounds quite silly, I spilt rice pudding on the trackpad and arrow keys, wiped it off and the keys were working and trackpad would work for a couple of mins but then do its own thing and not allow me to control it.

I then attempted to dry it using a hairdryer stupidly and melted a few keys, doh! Luckily I have accidental damage cover and it was all sorted. I do have pictures but to be honest can't be arsed to upload them off my phone as it's a hassle, maybe later when I get my MacBook and am home from work.

12. Shaunyac, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014

Shaunyac thread starter macrumors regular

Shaunyac

I'm home from work and have my new MBP up and running, I missed the smell of new computer!

Here's a picture of the damage, only the bottom 4 keys are really damaged and there's no visible damage to the trackpad. I'm guessing they couldn't repair it because to get to the trackpad the whole battery has to come out, which is a pain as it's bonded to the case.

[​IMG]

Can anyone explain the difference between my old processor and new one? Because I've been told it's better but I don't know why. Also, is the GFX card in my new MBP different from the old one?

Thanks all. :)

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well it is newer so it is better ;)

The GPU is a 750M now instead of the 650M, which is a minor improvement. The CPU is probably a little bit faster, but more importantly has a better energy management so you should get better battery life. Finally the SSD storage is even faster now and you have thunderbolt 2, which probably doesn't matter unless you have TB devices.

14. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Without knowing which CPU you had in the old machine I can't say exactly how much of a difference in CPU speed you're looking at. No matter what you should see better battery life from Haswell's power optimizations.

Just to grab the first benchmarks I see (32-bit single-core)
    Late 2013 @2.6: 3332
    Late 2013 @2.3: 3106 <--- you are here
    Mid 2012 @2.7: 3045
    Mid 2012 @2.6: 2941
    Mid 2012 @2.3: 2733

So as you can see, even if you had the Mid 2012 2.7 model, the 2.3 Haswell is still slightly faster. And again it should be more power-efficient, especially in light usage scenarios.

Now for the GPU:
    The iGPU is going to be significantly faster. The "Iris Pro" HD5200 can approach twice as fast as the HD4000. I think it's fast enough that you're best off using gfxCardStatus to stay in iGPU mode 100% of the time when you're on battery, only switching to auto/dGPU modes when you absolutely need it at the expense of power (so generally only when plugged in).

The dGPU is a 750m, which theoretically should be faster than a 650m, however it is really only an overclocked 650m. Because Apple already used an overclocked 650m in the 2012 rMBP, the actual performance difference is essentially zero (+/- clock range variances between individual chips).