Insuring a new mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grouper, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. grouper macrumors regular

    Apr 28, 2007
    I've read on here about people taking out special insurance on their macs. how do that work? do you just call up the insurance guy and buy a plan just for your computer? would it cover everything (like accidents, theft, etc)?

    any recs?
  2. thegrifman macrumors regular

    Nov 8, 2006
    Kennesaw, GA
    If you own your home your homeowners insurance probably already covers it, worth a call to verify though. If you rent, then you'll want to go with renters insurance. I called my financial institution and inquired just about insuring my Mac and renters is the way I had to go. It's super cheap, maybe around $20/month and my policy does cover accidental damage and theft.

    On the note of theft, you may also want to check out some of the theft recovery software out there. I use Orbicules Undercover.
  3. gormond macrumors regular

    Sep 19, 2007
    Seems rather pointless for most people, just get a standard insurance policy with accidental damage.
  4. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

    Jun 7, 2007
    Your homeowners or renter insurance should cover your computer as well, but if you just break your computer or it is stolen, you will still have to pay the deductible. The deductible is not bad if a lot of things are stolen of destroyed (Paying $500 to replace all your possessions is a deal) but if you can't afford the deductible to replace just your computer you can get a suplemental no-deductible insurance rider for your current policy. Call your insurance company and see what they offer.
  5. gormond macrumors regular

    Sep 19, 2007
    Not sure how it works in America but a standard policy in the UK for example:

    I spilt a glass of wine over a Sony Vaio SZ and it was replaced for a new one but I had to pay a excess of £50, Considering the thing cost me £1400 that's not to bad :)

Share This Page