Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skelaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am looking to sell my Black Macbook, but have one problem: the LCD is broken. I have been using it as a desktop for the past couple of months and I would like to upgrade.

I went to a PeachMac in Georgia (none in south Carolina, go figure!) and they said that the price on my macbook would be about 50 dollars without a working LCD. I brought it to Best Buy and they said with a working LCD they would give 534 dollars for it. With the LCD broken, they would not take it.

My current macbook is Black with a self upgraded 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD. It is 13" and with Snow Leopard.

I went to another store which repairs computers and I asked them if I could buy an LCD panel from them outright, and he said no but said he had an extra UNIBODY LCD Macbook (white) with the back cover, camera plus LCD. It is an LG, and he gave it to me for free.

On the left side bottom corner there is the hinger where three wire come out (black, blue, and grey) with a male ended connector. The other side (right bottom corner) has a metallic look male connector along with another male ended connector.

Are these two LCD's interchangeable? Has anybody done something like this before? If so, how easy, and are there tutorials regarding it?

Should I be better off selling it?

thanks everyone for reading!

PS- Pictures can be included if need be

-skelaw

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A non-Unibody Macbook cannot use a Unibody Macbook's LCD. It won't fit.

As for the price, I think you can get at least $350 on eBay with the broken LCD.

skelaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks for the quick answer!

I've been monitoring eBay pretty closely but all the broken BlackBooks are averaging lower than the good condition ones which are fetching 300-450 depending on HDD and whatnot.

After closer inspection I think the computer repair shop might have been mistaken.

Here's a picture. This actually resembles an earlier MacBook screen and LCD:

securedownload-2.jpg

securedownload-3.jpg

securedownload-4.jpg

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
The shop was mistaken - that LCD is for your MacBook.

Head over to iFixit for instructions to swap it over.

Not difficult - but if you have never done it before then take your time and keep a note of where all the screws have come from. You will only need a small phllips 00 screwdriver for the job....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.