Integrate home button into screen w/ no side beze..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Sep 15, 2014.

1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

and I would love the large screen phones even more! That would save so much length from the iPhone while being able to keep larger screens! How soon do you think that'll happen? I'm thinking like 4 years from now.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Technology should make a way to integrate it!

4. iScone macrumors regular

iScone

Agreed. This needs to happen but won't do until the 7. I'd love to push the 4.7 up to a 5" screen that way. 5.5 is too much for me, but a 5 would probably be perfect. Until then, I'm super happy with my 64GB 6 :)

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Yes, someone get Technology on the line and tell him to step up his game!

No but really- personally... I don't like the idea of a home/touchID button on the screen. At least not right now, too used to the way it is. When Android went to buttons on the screen I didn't like that either. The home button on iPhone is such an integral piece of the whole design I think it at least deserves it's own special place right where it is. It's iconic.

6. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I played with an LG G3 today and thought the power / volume buttons on the back was a really slick idea. That phone has a 5.5" in screen, but its all screen and is super nice looking. I want that body but run iOS. :)

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The Nokia 3310 is iconic. So? Surely it is the Apple iPhone itself that is iconic, and not a dated hardware button on the front which is now causing overall size problems since the switch to bigger screens? As soon as Apple drop the hardware home button and big bezels, the fanboys will turn on all those who own older iPhones. It's the way things are!

[​IMG]

8. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I understand the point you're making, but I still stand by what I said.

I don't think the button is 'dated' as you say. Nor do I think it is causing an overall size problem. I like having that chunk of bezel under the screen/on either side of the button to hang onto and not inadvertently press things on the screen.

Yes eventually if the iPhone loses it's hardware home button I'll come around to it, I'm sure. Until then, I like it the way it is. Fanboy or not, it works very well and whatever Apple chooses to do with the phone I'm sure it will work equally well. I trust they will do their homework before changing something like that just because a few people want them to.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It can still have a button but with TouchID built into the screen it could be much smaller allowing slimmer bezels with a larger screen in the same size phone.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Technology should also make a way for us all to be like Darth vader... all we really need is a brain and the machines do the rest...

Do you see what you're asking though? I am sure if this was a feasible option (economically as well) we would see it.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What really good reason is there for killing the home button? You say you like getting rid of the physical button, but what happens when the system needs to be reset because the touchscreen gets glitchy? Right now you do that by holding the home button and lock button. There are only so many combinations you can use with limited physical buttons. There will always have to be some physical buttons for just this reason -- software will always have bugs -- so don't count on it.

However, I like the idea of building Touch ID into the Apple Watch display. In fact, I would look for it to go there first so payments used with those can be better secured. Once the engineers figure it out there, on a much smaller scale of size and devices sold, it can be done on the flagship phones.

But also, you can't just engineer something because you want to. It might be possible, but it might also make the phone too thick, the battery life too short or the device too expensive for mass production.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

How about pressing and holding the sleep/wake button and one of the volume keys?

13. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand that it serves a purpose, but what is it used for? Bringing you back to the home screen for the most part. Touch ID could be implemented into the screen, and I, too would like some portion of the frame to be available to rest my hand on. Bottom line is that if the frame can be shrunk to some degree then more room can be used to fit screen size.