Integrated battery across entire MacBook line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the1payday, Apr 20, 2009.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Does anyone know if Apple has any plans to implement the integrated battery from the 17" MacBook Pro across their entire notebook line? I'm wanting to get a 15" MacBook Pro, but an integrated battery would be SOO nice on it.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I doubt it. Looks like they wanted another bullet point for the 17 inch since all the other macbooks look the same cosmetically.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yeah the 17" really needed the 8 hour battery selling point.

I hope the rest of the line does not get the integrated battery as I prefer it being easily accessible through the latch. Having 8 hours on the 15" and 13" i wouldn't complain though :p

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A non-removable battery is a terrible idea. If you can't swap out the battery once the first one has run down, what's the point of a portable computer?

5. magamo macrumors 6502

I don't want to carry multiple batteries around, let alone charge them one-by-one separately. The current 8 hours battery life may not be enough for some, but it's more than enough for me. It's like 17" UMBP has two conventional batteries in its thin, lightweight body. I guess a non-removable battery that is worth two swappable ones is more appealing to the majority.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I agree with miles. I'd rather have a battery that lasts 5 hours that I can replace when it dies. I can continue using the computer using the power outlet until I am able to purchase a new one. Much better then having to send it away and be computer-less for several days or weeks.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, just like glossy screens are more appealing to the majority. :confused:

8. Ploki macrumors 68000

its user servicable, not sticker is over it. so you have 4 screws to remove. like swapping a HD on old MBP
    its not such a big deal.
    i removed my battery three times in 6 months.
    once when i removed the back anyway because something got in my fans,
    once when i reset SMC (okay, here removable battery was cool)
    once when i replaced HDD (okay here was also nice :p ).
    but still, not such a big deal.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It will be a big deal if someone gets it into their head they can do it themselves, screw something up, and then not be able to get it fixed under Applecare...

10. magamo macrumors 6502

Apple claims it has a much longer lifespan, so it doesn't seem to be that big of a problem, at least to me. But yeah, it's a little annoying to have to send a laptop just to replace a dead battery. Probably I'll have bought a new laptop by the time the battery dies.

The two types of displays have both merits and demerits, so do the battery types. Maybe it'd be better if Apple gave options for battery types like matte/glossy displays?

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sure. But Apple is trending away from "options," sadly.

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The matte option is simple though. It involves the exact same notebook, merely with the glass panel on the front removed. It's a bit more complicated when it comes to two different batteries. For one, they'd have to make two different cases for what is ultimately the same model. Also, how would they differentiate the different types of batteries? Have "with inbuilt battery" or "with removable battery" stamped on the box? Or merely offer one as a built-to-order online-order deal (which in itself would cause problems - how do they decide which one to sell as online-only?). In the end it would just make the entire situation very messy, IMO.

13. magamo macrumors 6502

It'd sure be messy, and as miles said, it's unlikely for Apple to offer options if they could.

Apparently Apple managed to make MBP 17" last 8 hours while keeping thinness by taking advantage of the integrated battery feature. So I personally think integrated batteries will become more popular across laptops, but Apple only knows.

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

For me the integrated battery is perfect. It's rare that I run my laptop on battery power for more than a few hours at a time. As others have said, I doubt Apple will put an integrated battery in the smaller MBP's because you need reasons to buy the 17", although they make perfect sense. The majority of people never touch there removable battery, its just there.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I agree with dissdnt. Apple gives you the choice-the choice to buy a $3K laptop if you want that feature.