Integrated Blog, Shopping and Normal site package?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eyup, Dec 3, 2008.

1. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

Hi all,

Can you advise on what is the best software/package that can provide the following in one integrated site...
    1. A normal site
    2. A blog
    3. Shopping cart

All CMS driven?

Currently the site in question uses HTML and Blogger, with the intention of adding a shop later - I thought it may be possible to unite it all without using different packages? So the menus are all consistent and maybe only one admin area etc. ?

The site would have a custom design too...

Grateful for your suggestions.

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Most of your robust CMS offerings can do all you are asking, and a bit more. Check for some recent discussions on this site about Joomla and Drupal, two popular and well supported offerings.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Fantastic recommendation. I second this.

One important feature that is unusual about this product vs. other open source eCommerce solutions is the web services API it supports. For those not familiar, this is not the same as plugins . API's allow exchange of data dynamically between two web sites easily and securely (called mashing up in web 2.0 speak), i.e. submitting credit card data to a merchant's API and returning approval, or integrating seamlessly into your eCommerce site videos, social networking or even inventory items from third party retailers which you might have peering relationships. Powerful stuff.

Combine that with friendly URLs for SEO, multi-tier pricing, RSS, coupons, polls, it's own CMS, coupon, newsletters and flexible tax rates and a list of other stuff - this product is worth a thorough examination.

-jim

5. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Glad you agree :) I can't wait to have a reason to try and get my head around it's set up lol

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Yeah, alot of people (including me) have tried osCommerce but as one compares features, Magento is clearly more than just competitive. It totally rocks. We can't do eCommerce in our sector of the government (i.e. collect funds) so if any custom jobs come along I'd look into this also first thing!

-jim

7. eyup thread starter macrumors regular

eyup

goodbarry.com

Thanks for the replies.

Have a look at this...

http://goodbarry.com/

Seems to combine eveything - CMS, ecommerce, blog, forums and more.

Anybody familiar with it? Or found anything similar?

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

GoodBarry looks similar to Magento, except you have to pay for GoodBarry and you get hosting (and basic setup I assume) with it and Magento is free and you set it up yourself.

9. eyup thread starter macrumors regular

eyup

Magento

I've had a look at Magento and it appears to be just dealing with ecommerce not Static pages, Blog, Forum - ei not the whole caboodle.

or have I missed something?

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Sorry, your right.

It doesn't do forums. Blogs can be integrated using extensions though and a CMS is built in for handling the static pages of the site.

I'll get back to you if I find out anything new :)

-EDIT-
    You can however integrate Magento with TYPO3 CMS which through extensions allows you to use forum and blog functionality. Bit more of a complex approach, but still saves paying a monthly fee to GoodBarry if that sounds good.