Integrated GMail client - can I hijack iOS/Android app ;)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainKebab, Jul 26, 2010.

1. CaptainKebab macrumors newbie

Afternoon! I'm looking for a lightweight, integrated gmail app for the mac. I know there are quite a few email apps available for the mac and I've tried almost all of them, though none of them seem to fit what I'm looking for (and its possible there are none - which is why I ask you, the experts!).

I've been using Mailplane for a while now but I'm getting antsy and have started my search again. I stumbled across Notify, which is an awesome little app and is exactly what I'm looking for - except... it only displays new messages and you can't download/upload attachments. Other than that I love how small it is, that its lightweight, and efficient. For example, I don't need to add text formatting to most of my emails, so those just take up extra room for me in normal clients. If I need to do anything heavier duty (adding labels, searching, etc) I won't mind opening Mailplane.

Seeing as how I'm a little impatient for Notify to release a new version where they might include downloading/uploading attachments and viewing already read messages, what are my options here?

I don't develop apps for the iPhone or Android, but I know you can run some of the apps on the mac under development mode - is there any chance I can get the gmail app from either device for my desktop? I know its a long chance but I figured I'd ask! lol

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

Just use Fluid to turn Gmail into its own app.

3. reubs macrumors 68000

Agreed; I think this is your best bet.