Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
There is now integrated Google Talk in Gmail. This is neat because now you can chat while looking through your mail. No need to open up new windows or tabs. Another neat thing about this is that when you point your cursor over a contact, it will tell you the name, email, and other nifty information, along with buttons that let you email that person, and gTalk with that person.

All in all, gmail has been improved a lot.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I tried this out today. Pretty nifty.

..though I was sitting about 4 feet from the person I Was IMing.. *shrug*

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I don't see it. :confused: :eek:

I see the logo now says "talk" on it.
logo1.gif

And there is a "chats" section that will save your chats, but I don't see any way to actually talk with people.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
EricNau said:

View attachment 40995

And there is a "chats" section that will save your chats, but I don't see any way to actually talk with people.

on the left there should be a quick address book thingie. just hold ur cursor over their name, and the gtalk option will come up.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
There had better be a way to turn this off (and so far there is), or I will get in trouble. I check my personal emails from work by logging into the Gmail web interface (at home I download them into Mail via POP3). Work is a very secure defense contracting facility that allows no cameras and no IM applications. If my webmail turns into an IM client, I'll have to stop using it.

jelloshotgun

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
EricNau said:

View attachment 40995

They're rolling it out across accounts in stages. All of my friends had it a couple days before I did!

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
:(

joshysquashy said:
my account doesn't even have the new logo?!

I'm in the UK, so with the Lawsuit, I'm not sure I'll get the new GMail logo.

Also, I've seent this chat thing on the side when I use the Inter Explorer at uni, but I dont see it on Safari. It's been like this for over a week now, I thought it was something Safari can't support.

Do you guys see it through Safari AND FireFox?

F

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
i registered a new account and it works in the uk, at uni and in safari :) so that puts an end to all those myths.

i think they are just taking their time, hope my account eventually gets it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.