integrated graphics and HD video/aperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kram, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kram macrumors newbie

hi i'm about to purchase a MBP and had a few questions. i already own a 15" MBP (old style) with the 2.4 Ghz processor etc...

I'll be using the new purchase to watch 1080p content (hooked up to an external monitor) and edit photos using aperture on the fly.

I was going to get the high-end 13" just because it's that little bit more portable than my existing 15" and also because it's cheaper.

Will i notice any difference in HD playback and Aperture without a discrete GPU or will it not be much of an issue? I just want to make sure that it will handle 1080p encodes without stuttering and that it won't run aperture slowly...

TIA

2. kram thread starter macrumors newbie

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

the 13 incher will play 1080 fine.

aperture, on the other hand, plays nice with the 9600. So if you'd like optimum performance, go with the dedicated setup.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I used to used aperture (I'm on LighRoom now) and I found little difference between using the 9400m and the 9600m, so much so, I wished opted for the 13" model. I was convinced by the apple store folks that the 9600m is the only way to go for aperture and they didn't have it loaded onto the 13" models to compare it.

I don't regret my decision, I have a great machine, but its on the integrated gpu 99% of the time.

5. kram thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys!

was on a tight schedule so i ran out and picked up the top spec 13" model today :) not played with aperture yet but video is looking good so far :) i'm sure that i'll be fine with editing on this as i only really do simple adjustments to my photos

thanks again