Integrated graphics enough?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fosterpants, Nov 19, 2013.

1. fosterpants macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my mid-2010 MBP with a 2.4 i5. I am a serious hobby photographer and take some DSLR video as well. I want to buy a 15" MBP with retina screen and had a couple questions.

If buying new, will I still see a significant speed increase if getting the 2.3 i7 16gb RAM but with only the Iris Pro graphics? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the one with Nvidia GT 750?

For photo's I can't see it making that much difference, but for video editing I'm wondering how much of a better experience it would be.

I'm using Final Cut Pro X, Lightroom 5 and CS5.

2. caljay macrumors newbie

Integrated graphics enough?

You did not mention the size of the SSD. The dGPU version defaults to 512GB while the integrated version is available with 256GB. Both are $2599 with the same size 512GB SSD. If 256GB is OK then you can save $200 by buying the integrated version.

The OpenCL vs OpenGL issue seems to come up. I suspect that Apple will focus on OpenCL which does well with the Iris Pro (BareFeats.com). OpenGL on the other hand seems to favor the dGPU version. CS5 uses OpenGL for a few operations but otherwise CPU. LR is CPU only.

My crystal ball is not really clear on directions by Adobe for the next few years (before you upgrade again). Also, you didn't mention if you would move to CC for photographers. OpenCL and OpenGL each seem to work with different operations in CC.

My personal thought is that for $200 I would get the dGPU version.