Integrated Graphics (Iris Pro) for Video Editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scxfalse, Feb 20, 2017.

1. scxfalse, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

scxfalse macrumors newbie

I don't have much experience with macs aside from the 12 inch that I kind of messed with for a good 2 weeks for general purpose use and testing FCX. Although it's more ideal to have a dedicated graphics for any kind of video work I was wondering how manageable it is to work with integrated graphics, more specifically the 2015 15' Iris Pro. More likely so 1080p, maybe 4k and pretty minimal projects as I'd work more with music production. Also this is in regards to potentially buying used older units. Thanks.

Also what would be a better purchase, 2014 512GB 2.5 i7 gtx 750m or 2015 256 gb 2.2 i7 Iris Pro

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

For video editing, the one with the dGPU is the better choice, by a lot.

3. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

I'm not sure what you do. I use iMovie and Audacity to do minimal video editing at HD levels. The IG Iris Pro 5200 on my late 2013 15 inch 2.6 Macbook pro works fine. Finalizing an hour movie takes about 15-20 minutes, with the fans running. This is about 1/4 the time that my 2011 i5 2.5 iMac does it(which was three times faster than my first generation Macbook pro did it---I used to have to take the morning off while it did the work).

This is pretty minimal. But it does depend on how much you can wait. My daughter uses a 2012 model with minimal video editing for her husband who uses a hyped up Mac pro for serious video work.

If you explain exactly what you are doing with exactly what programs, I(or others) might be able to off a more specific assistance.