Integrated intel 4000 very sluggish on MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Sep 20, 2012.

1. FatGuy007, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I know their is MANY threads about this, but my question is why did they even put it in? an integrated intel 4000 probably can't handle a resolution of 2800x1800. I'd rather have one battery friendly, fast GPU rather then 2 GPU's of one battery-eating and one that's sluggish.
    Especially on the Top Sites page, mission control and launchpad lags and is too slugish for a new laptop.

2. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Intel HD4000 certainly can handle any resolution including the "worst" HiDPI modes hardware wise. The problem is a driver and software one, and we can only hope Apple's anemic driver writing team are still on the case and are not being pulled off doing things for the real bread and butter for Apple, iOS.

Personally, I don't have problems with the HD4000, and my only noticeable issue (swapping spaces using trackpad gesture) is certainly fixed in 10.8.2. Mission control and switching spaces has always been fine, and using quartz debug I couldn't measure any framerate differences of the HD4000 compared to the 650M and my 330M in my 2010 MBP.

3. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

The Intel integrated chips are essentially forced on everyone at this point - baked onto the CPU. Hardly ideal, but what are the alternatives? I think the HD4000 is up to the task, but as was already stated, I think drivers are lacking.

4. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, certaintly everything is much better in 10.8.2 but safari is still really sluggish and glitches make it a dissapointment in a native browser. Chrome eats up too much ram and cpu so I am stuck with Safari until they fix everything (I hate Firefox).
    The Macbook Pro and Air has a 1280 and 1368 resolution and I understand this, but 4 times that, can put stress on the machine.
    Also with the Intel HD4000 I get Facebook chat disappearing, text randomly disappearing, and many other more issues. This GPU isn't made for a machine like this.

----------

Also I would never expect this on a 3000$ laptop, especially an Apple one.

5. leman macrumors 604

Sorry, but this is complete BS. HD4000 works reasonably well for me and thousands of other rMBP owners. If you have a defective machine or some sort of software issues, go and talk to Apple about it, no reason to spread your FUD in the forums.

P.S. Safari is buggy and will sometimes screw up UI elements on a website. This has absolutely ZERO to do with HD4000.

6. plsamson macrumors newbie

They didnt "put it in"

In fact, they didnt put it in, it comes with the cpu, what you mean is why didnt they put a dedicated card

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

newsflash. they DID put in a dedicated card.

8. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

So, it sounds like this is mostly a Safari issue, not much to suggest other than another browser which doesn't seem to be possible (though a rMBP shouldn't have any RAM/CPU problems with Chrome!)...