(Integrated) iSight versus Logitech QuickCam Vision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeoNobilis, Feb 17, 2009.

?

iSight vs

1. I prefer the iSight as it is. Because… well, because it's an iSight.

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. I lament iSight's unpardonably inferior quality. The matter must be addressed!

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. LeoNobilis macrumors regular

LeoNobilis

…just discovered that the integrated iSight camera stands to comparison to Logitech's QuickCam Vision! See more here: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...it/macity/aA36598&lp=it_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

That's no slight difference: that's a qualitative difference almost as great as that between a photograph taken with an average medium format camera compared to a so-called "cameraphone" snap (except for the huge nominal resolution difference) - or a RED One footage next to that taken with a compact cam.

As much as I love Apple, it begins to piss me off at times! What do they think of their user base? Are we all half-blind gullible idiots with more or less no reference frame in these matters? Then just as well they could substitute OS X with Windoze eXPee, or go back to OS 7 instead!

I allow the Logitech's rather unsightly looks, but don't tell me that it integrates a 65 mm chip and the best high-aperture lens, and therefore implementation of similar quality components within a laptop's lid is impossible! A webcam is still a camera, intended to record pictures and video (whatever the purpose), and to judge one on the premises of anything but its capability as a camera is admittedly silly.

What do you think, fellow MacRumors.com forum members? But, please, let's be objective here: first compare the shots and the footage (see the link above) before you launch a desperate defense of the rubbish called 'iSight". ;)

2. valexa macrumors member

i would expect a improvement of the isight cam in the next revision , still considering how little hardware is behind the optical sensor in the macs i think the isight quality is quite outstanding

currently isight's only have a 1.3 megapixel sensor compared to 2 megapixels in the logitech vision , compared to a logitech cam with 1.3 isight looks a lot better

just a guess but it looks like logitech webcams have a amount of enclosure space to house the image processing hardware that apple cant even touch in a couple of millimeters thick macbook screen or even imac

if there is one thing , i would have expected the logitech cams to have twice as much resolution and quality , 2 megapixels in a full fledged webcam is lame , even cell phones have that nowdays

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

No offense, but it's pretty pathetic to compare those two. If you compare the space inside the QuickCam and the space allowed for the iSight, then you will see why they are not same in quality. Also, the iSight wasn't made for filming a Hollywood movie, but for video calls which do not require the top of the line cameras. Most people that I know don't even use the iSight.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the amount I use my webcam, it doesn't really matter; for the monitor I don't have a webcam built-in, I have a QuickCam Pro—very good; even has autofocus with Carl Zeiss optics (gimmick, I know).

5. srexy macrumors 6502a

Who gives a f f?

It's a webcam for gods sakes not a precision optical instrument. Unless your "business" depends on it who cares if the image quality is poor?

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I use my iSight to webcam into meetings at work.. it works great on Skype and the quality/speed is great for an integrated webcam.

7. Dedonut macrumors newbie

iSight in the new iMac 24" 2.66 Intel duo

Hate to ask a dumb question but I will. I just ordered a new iMac above. Does it come with built in iSight? I thought I read that it does, but don't see it in the specs. :-(

8. lazydesi macrumors 6502

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

everything from apple with a screen comes with an iSight. except for the old ACD's