Integrating new iPhone features - a new model

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Ottoman1, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Ottoman1 macrumors regular

I love Apple products.

They are the gold-standard in innovation, design, and simplicity.

While others are quick to release buggy features on their smartphones- Apple tries to perfect them before integrating them into their OS.

The problem is that integration curve is hard to wait for as an early adopter.

Apple needs to learn to adopt new features as they go and perfect them one at a time. Instead of grand releases with hundreds of new features there should be a more gradual/organic integration process.

We should move and grow with the iPhone in a give-and-take fashion. Apple could get feedback on new iconography for example, and the icons could evolve over time.

When the iPhone was released it was a watershed moment - the world changed. There isn't going to be another moment like that until something fairly huge happens - holograms? Who knows?

As fans of the iPhone we all wish that fantastic moment would come sooner than later but in the meantime we need to have an open dialogue with Apple to help steer the direction of the product as a community/family.

Apple can and should lead, but the world is different now. Now we have two-way communication with Apple and Apple needs to capitalize on that channel of feedback, via social media.

It is Apple's job to innovate and push the boundaries. They just need to learn to do so in a manner that puts them back out front, respecting their existing customers and exciting their new ones.

It is Apple's time to think different.

2. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Apple used to be gold standard and innovation but they've lacked that with the last two iPhones. While I love my i5 there's nothing innovative about it at all. I use all Apple products and own a S4 too. S4 while being newer it does have some new things that other phones don't offer. Yes there gimmicks but there fun to use and Apple needs to do something with future phones. iOS is still the best platform for me but not by much. Hoping Apple do innovate in future.

Anyways this is iOS7 forums not Apple chat ;)

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You use the word, innovate, but not in a way that I think you know what it means.

They made no changes?

No next gen low power LTE chipset?
    Not the thinnest, smallest superphone?
    No anodized aluminum unibody chassis?
    No dual spacial stream, dual band WIFI?
    No die shrunk, next gen microarchetecture? and triple core GPU?
    more, can't even.

No... you may be right, no changes or updates. :rolleyes:

What you want is a UI paradigm shift, historically that only happens every 10 years or so. The last was with the iPhone in 2007. So you still have 4-5 more years to go before you can expect that. Apple may or may not be the leader.

4. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Sorry dude but read up what you said again. Innovation is something new that changes the game and yea Google have with Google Now, apple are way behind. I may use all apple stuff but my heads not up their ass like most on here. A faster chip is not innovation in the slightest.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Actually, innovating means introducing new things or methods. I would say Apple innovated with iPhone 5 because of the way it implemented features that may have already been on the market but not done as well.
    Honestly tho, by your own admission most of the things the S4 has are gimmicks and might be fun to play for a little bit but most features will never be used (like the stupid bumping of phones). Also, some of them are rather poorly implemented (like video pausing when you look away).
    So I think it would be easy for Apple to just throw a bunch of half-baked stuff in a phone, but they'd rather implement things when they are more solid. Of course they don't do everything perfect and make mistakes like everybody else, but overall they have a better track record of not just doing something for the sake of doing it.

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I think Apple needs to take more chances. I think with Jobs gone, most at Apple don't want to be the one to be blamed for screwing up a good thing. So instead they wait and see if certain things work with other phones. And then include it on their phone.

Going with what I just said. They have made subtle changes over the years. Nothing spectacular. Most changes make them go in line with everyone else after a while. There is no game changer moments from Apple. And that is what I think the original poster is talking about. Where is the Apple that would decide to go in bold and crazy directions? I don't know.

7. monaarts macrumors 65816

Yes, they make subtle changes like iOS 7 to make sure no one gets blamed. People said the same thing when Steve was here, saying that Steve has too much control and doesn't let things progress properly. BLAH BLAH BLAH

Apple and Google are both consumer hardware & software companies. They are different though. Google focuses on creating new things that are fun and entertaining (mostly gimmicky) while Apple focuses on creating new things that change people's lives (which there aren't as many of).