Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
None that i know of for osx, but a lot for windows.

If you need more than 120GB but not much more, 160GB's Intel is your best bet. But if you think you can live with 120GB, get OWC.

Intel is good when you're using it for your system, since it has very good random write speed. But if you're using it mainly to work with huge files, then Intel is a little slower compared to the competitors.

OWC, however, is supposedly good on both, cause it's got very good random and sequential write speed.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
If you need more than 120GB but not much more, 160GB's Intel is your best bet. But if you think you can live with 120GB, get OWC.

Intel is good when you're using it for your system, since it has very good random write speed. But if you're using it mainly to work with huge files, then Intel is a little slower compared to the competitors.

OWC, however, is supposedly good on both, cause it's got very good random and sequential write speed.

Good to know. I don't work with large files at all. This is going to be a purely OS drive with some virtual machines (windows 7 and xp)..so I hope it will be sufficient. Already I am loving all the extra space.

gonzaload1987

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
If your are between the OWC drive and the OCZ vertex 2 drive, this might help you. I just got this answer from the owc service about their ssd's performance:

"Hello,

The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD and the OCZ unit are going to be very similar in performance since both are based on the Sandforce
controller. All currently shipping drives have no limitations on their performance. They will obtain:

Random 4KB Writes: Up to 50,000 IOPS
Random 4KB Reads: Up to 30,000 IOPS

The OWC SSD carries a 3 year warranty thru OWC."

TZRaceR6

Jun 8, 2010
United Kingdom
The main issue with that drive, is that it hasn't nothing of over-provisioning space, which it means that there aren't any chances to replace bad sectors, or keep the performance even the drive is full.

Do you own one of the new ones, or are you referring to the previous models? Since the switch to Indilinx I mean.

gonzaload1987

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Do you own one of the new ones, or are you referring to the previous models? Since the switch to Indilinx I mean.

I'm going to own the 240 gb model from OWC, but in general the ssd that don't have any over provisioning space inside, they will probably going to slowdown quicker than the others. Look for example the obtained performance with Crucial C300 drives.

Even said that, other brands like OCZ are not the best right now either, i have read many post in their forums with problems in performance, and also firmwares that leave the drive bricked :S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.