Intel 3 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjb1, Nov 4, 2010.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Anyone have an idea when these may be coming around? I dont want to blow $250 on one for christmas then them come out in a month...

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

That's exactly what might happen.
    They did say that they will announce pricing/availability Q4 of this year - so I guess any day now.

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

So I have done some more research and I see Q4-2010 - Q1-2011 and they arent much faster than current versions just they should be cheaper... Does anyone have any experience with the Crucial C300? Looks like it has great read speeds but really slow write speeds.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I'd wait for Intel's offerings.
    New 25nm process, etc.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3965/intels-3rd-generation-x25m-ssd-specs-revealed

Their pricing will be quite a bit cheaper for bigger capacities.

5. deviance macrumors member

I thought the Intel G3 Postville Refresh were delayed until Feb?

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There are some rumblings of someone buying a production sample from some chinese version of ebay. It's fast, but not as fast as some of the other sandforce drives. However the verdict on the drives isn't out yet considering we A) don't know if its a fake (but it's fast for a fake) and B) how much it costs, because if it's cheaper than all the other offerings and with decent speed then it'll still be a great value.

8. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

its not so much about speed reliability goes up by a couple fold

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I'm waiting on these too... even if I don't decide to get one when they come out they may make other vendors reconsider their pricing, since they are supposedly cheaper per GB.

10. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Got my Crucial RealSSD C300 256 in the mail a few days ago and am installing it as I type this on my MBP 15 i7. I will let you know. I thought with it would be a little bit future proof. After I bought it I read a few negatives about it with OSX if you get the drive close to full. I am thinking of losing the Super Drive and go dual hard drives.