Intel 320, 510, or OCZ 34nm for my mid-2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DWBurke811, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to order a SSD in the next day or so. I have a few questions though.

I'm looking at 120GB drives; it's between the Intel 320, Intel 510(I know I'll be going through SATA2), or OCZ Vertex 2 with the 34nm NAND ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227717 )?
    The order of my priorities is:
    1. Performance
    2. Reliability
    3. Price (not too concerned about price, I'd rather save and get the best than save a little money and know there's something that would be better for my needs out there.)

Should I be looking at the Vertex 3 as well?

Down the road I'm going to get a OWC Data Doubler with a 9.5mm 1TB, but this leads me to my next question. I'm fine with ~250GB of onboard HD (NAS FTW) , so how would running 2 SSDs in RAID 0 work? Performance wise vs. running a single 240GB SSD? And if I do plan on running 2 in RAID, does that change what SSD would be best?

Thanks, and I'm open to any other advice or anything you have to offer

2. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

3. csjo00 macrumors regular

I'm kind of in the same boat you are.

I've been lurking around for the same answer, and I've come to a few answers.

1) Our MBPs don't have SATA III which is what the Vertex 3 uses, although they're backwards compatible. So why pay the extra cash?
    --- Edit: I see now that you've already made this point.

2) The optical drive uses a SATA I connection, so it'd only be able to do 1.5 Gbps, if I'm not mistaken.

If #2 is correct, then RAID 0 with two SSD's wouldn't be effective as you would be throttled by the slower SSD.

Any or all of this could be false, it's just what I've picked up lurking around for a couple weeks.

Good luck, and I'm interested to see what you end up doing.

4. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Vertex 3 still has faster specs on SATA 2 than the Vertex 2, obviously not as fast as on SATA 3 but still better.

And the optibay is SATA 2

5. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Wait what?