intel 320 8mb bug

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iAppleONE, Jul 18, 2011.

1. iAppleONE macrumors member

Hey guys,

Sorry about making a new thread on this topic (I know there are currently 2 threads about this issue). But I am very paranoid and want to some advice on a few things. The lion release is imminent and I assume Intel will offer a new firmware by the end of July (wishful thinking?), so if my drive does hit the bug during this time I would run into a lot of trouble (I do backup). Is there a simple and convenient method to sort of reduce the potential damage that these problems may cause? Again, I apologize for making another thread but how severe do you think will this bug affect your notebook/work?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you're paranoid, you should have a full Time Machine backup (You should actually have a Time Machine backup even if you're not paranoid). If you lose your SSD to the bug, you can get a new SSD and restore to it, no problem. You will have to format it first with a SL disc, or by burning Lion onto a disc. Time Machine will handle the rest.

And while this bug is scary, its occurrence is actually rare. I was lucky enough to have not one but TWO drives that fell victim to this bug. But I think there may only be one other person on the boards who's experienced it. If you are wanting the 320, I say get it. New firmware should be out soon and it performs very well.